• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scilly Isles (1 Viewer)

markspirito

Thinking of a little trip for the first time ever this autumn to the Scilly Isles, probably camping to keep costs down, I am just contemplating the best way to do this travelling from the Midlands, fly out from Lands end and sail back to Penzance ? which could mean leaving the car at Lands end...and are there long stay car parks at lands end ?, or maybe train all the way to Penzance and sail both ways ? anyone with previous experience and tips would be appreciated

Thanks from Mark

Thinking of a little trip for the first time ever this autumn to the Scilly Isles, probably camping to keep costs down, I am just contemplating the best way to do this travelling from the Midlands, fly out from Lands end and sail back to Penzance ? which could mean leaving the car at Lands end...and are there long stay car parks at lands end ?, or maybe train all the way to Penzance and sail both ways ? anyone with previous experience and tips would be appreciated

Thanks from Mark

First off, not camped on the Scillies since the 90's so bit out of date perhaps. Not sure why you would want to fly out boat back, easier to just use one method of transport then no messing about with getting from Penzance to Land's end or vice-versa. Personally would take the boat unless you suffer from seasickness, it does roll about a fair bit even on a calm day, as it has the added attraction of potentially seeing a few decent seabirds on the crossing. As far as getting the train goes, logistically might be awkward as the Scillonian tends to leave early and get back late so train times to/from the midlands may not fit in.

Nick

Just on camping, it's great fun on Scilly in the autumn. Mary's, St Agnes, Bryher and Martins all have sites (unless any have closed recently). I'm particularly fond of Bryher - basic but you have the place to yourself early and late. But take your pick, you can't go wrong.

Andy

I used to go on National express but it arrives late and means an overnight stay in Penzance. The flights do or did, a free shuttle service which picks up at the train station.

If you fly, there is free parking at the airport so you could fly out and boat back then take the free shuttle to get your car?

Camping on Agnes is lovely, right next to the sea.

A

Camped at easter this year - a real old school trip!

Camping at Garrison is £9.50 / night
Camping on St Martins is £10 / night (very good shower block etc)
Camping is available on Bryher but didn't stay there
Car parking in Penzance is free by the old lido, around the corner from the harbour - a short walk down to the boat - often quite busy there but I found a place without too much difficulty.
The boat is (IMO) a bit of a rip at £110 return - may be cheaper much further in advance.
Inter-island boats £9 day return

cheers, alan

Remember the old trick of buying a day return for the day out and the day back and just throw the other half of the ticket away - total cost £78

Camped at easter this year - a real old school trip!

Camping at Garrison is £9.50 / night
Camping on St Martins is £10 / night (very good shower block etc)
Camping is available on Bryher but didn't stay there
Car parking in Penzance is free by the old lido, around the corner from the harbour - a short walk down to the boat - often quite busy there but I found a place without too much difficulty.
The boat is (IMO) a bit of a rip at £110 return - may be cheaper much further in advance.
Inter-island boats £9 day return

cheers, alan

Bryher campsite is £10.50 a night - ticked Bobolink there!

Remember the old trick of buying a day return for the day out and the day back and just throw the other half of the ticket away - total cost £78

With computerised booking system, so effectively individualised check in, I'm not sure this is viable, without an embarrassing scene at the ticket office on the return. Can anyone confirm?

cheers, alan

No longer free parking at the airports I fear, Andy A.

And you might want one of the charter boat phone numbers up your sleeve, I think there are several these days (the Falcon rings a bell).

No longer free parking at the airports I fear, Andy A.

And you might want one of the charter boat phone numbers up your sleeve, I think there are several these days (the Falcon rings a bell).

Another way to squeeze the punters then Andy

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back