• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Dubai (1 Viewer)

htcdude

Hi guys,

So hopefully next year I will be taking a family holiday to Dubai.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good sightings websites, or recommend any spots please? Not sure how much access I'll have to a car.

Also are there any good accounts on Twitter to follow?

Thanks,

Nige

Keep an eye on your timing as the temperatures out there are hostile in the summer!! We were there in a September and it nudged 45oC daily...ouch!! Find end of Oct into Nov much better. Beginning of April pretty good too and great migration-wise ;)

A car will be necessary too as can't think of any walkable sites from the city...at least none of the good ones!

Agree that trying to do it entirely on foot would be a killer, but if you don't mind a bit of walking (which admittedly isn't especially nice when it's hot...) I was pleasantly surprised by how good public transport is for getting around. For the equivalent of ~£5 a day you can get unlimited travel on the city's bus, metro & tram network, which can get you to/close to most birding sites.

Taxis are also extremely good value when compared to the UK, but if you get a lift out to any of the more distant sites make sure you can get back - you'll likely need to phone for a taxi on the return, and you may be waiting for a while before it appears.

Thank you all for the info so far, much appreciated

birdboybowley - We're looking to go probably Christmas 2018 (I know it's a long way off but want to swat up a bit beforehand!). My brother-in-law & family are out there for a couple of years, so will be visiting them. Hoping temps will be a little cooler :)
We will be getting a hire car but not sure how often I'll get to use it if the family also need it :)

podargus - Thank you for that, will certainly look into it nearer the time

Phil Andrews - I'm exactly sure at the moment, but probably near Safa. Family are in the process of moving there so I haven't got the address yet. I'll post back when I do.

In terms of what to see. To be honest anything. I haven't done much birding abroad since taking up the hobby so a lot of birds will be new to me. I visited family Oman 2 years back and got around 75 species there, I'm guessing some will be similar.

Thanks,

Nige

Thank you all for the info so far, much appreciated

birdboybowley - We're looking to go probably Christmas 2018 (I know it's a long way off but want to swat up a bit beforehand!). My brother-in-law & family are out there for a couple of years, so will be visiting them. Hoping temps will be a little cooler :)
We will be getting a hire car but not sure how often I'll get to use it if the family also need it :)

podargus - Thank you for that, will certainly look into it nearer the time

Phil Andrews - I'm exactly sure at the moment, but probably near Safa. Family are in the process of moving there so I haven't got the address yet. I'll post back when I do.

In terms of what to see. To be honest anything. I haven't done much birding abroad since taking up the hobby so a lot of birds will be new to me. I visited family Oman 2 years back and got around 75 species there, I'm guessing some will be similar.

Thanks,

Nige

Safa Park - whilst a shadow of its former glory - still remains a good spot to visit and very handy to have on your doorstep. Expect to see Indian Roller, mynahs, Purple Sunbird, waders and herons around the pool; also shrikes and wheatears in the quieter corners. Indeed most of the parks large or small will produce birds - the small park near where I stayed this year (Al Barsha Pond Park) yielded Black-throated Thrush :t:

Ras Al Khor is a must for its range of waders, herons, wildfowl, gulls / terns and especially raptors - Mangrove Hide is more productive than Flamingo Hide.

Mushrif Park is a productive spot for Oriental Honey Buzzard and Arabian Babbler as well as shrikes and warblers.

A great spot - although may be a little expensive by taxi - is Saih al Salam out by Babs al Sham resport. Combination of large numbers of waders, wagtails / pipits, wildfowl, herons and desert species.

Thanks very much for that Phil, that's a real help :)

I've since found out that this is exactly where they're located:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/mira+5/@25.0086511,55.2897007,14.43z

So a little bit further out of the places you mentioned, but I'm sure I can find a way around :)

And maybe some places a bit closer...

Really looking forward to it already!

Nige

Safa Park - whilst a shadow of its former glory - still remains a good spot to visit and very handy to have on your doorstep. Expect to see Indian Roller, mynahs, Purple Sunbird, waders and herons around the pool; also shrikes and wheatears in the quieter corners. Indeed most of the parks large or small will produce birds - the small park near where I stayed this year (Al Barsha Pond Park) yielded Black-throated Thrush :t:

Ras Al Khor is a must for its range of waders, herons, wildfowl, gulls / terns and especially raptors - Mangrove Hide is more productive than Flamingo Hide.

Mushrif Park is a productive spot for Oriental Honey Buzzard and Arabian Babbler as well as shrikes and warblers.

A great spot - although may be a little expensive by taxi - is Saih al Salam out by Babs al Sham resport. Combination of large numbers of waders, wagtails / pipits, wildfowl, herons and desert species.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back