• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Riverside Nature Park, Dundee. (2 Viewers)

a scaup was reported on the lochan on sunday,i took this pic of what I think is a tufted duck on the 16/02/17 ,I have been wrong before here,there is still 3 redwings hanging about behind buzzard wood 27/02/17

Attachments

• zduck.jpg
    zduck.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 158
Definitely a sub-adult drake Scaup on the pool at Riverside Park yesterday afternoon. Looks like it might still be there this morning at 0945 when I drove past.

Popped down to the park this afternoon, and managed to see 45 species of bird, plus heard another 3 that I didn't manage to see. Scaup still on the Lochan, a single Gadwall at the mouth of the burn, as well as a pair of Grey Wagtails. Single Chiffchaff seen along at bend east of Lochan. Rook bathing at burn outflow. Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming at western end of Buzzard Wood. Grey Heron ate a large frog at the Lochan. Rabbits very few and far between (1 seen) - looks like Myxomatosis has wiped them out more or less.

Species seen - Backbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunlin, Dunnock, Gadwall, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Linnet, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Redshank, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Rook, Scaup, Shelduck, Siskin, Skylark, Song Thrush, Starling, Stock Dove, Teal, Woodpigeon, Yellowhammer.

Heard only - Goldcrest, Pink Footed Goose, Wren.

I done a circuit of the park on Monday,the scaup was still present,just beyond the toilet building 3 skylarks were fighting in the air about six feet from the path,on top of the hill dogs were running wild,the signs ask for the birds to be left in peace from april 1st,maybe mid march would be better

Attachments

• scaup.jpg
    scaup.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 137
  • yhammer.jpg
    yhammer.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 113
I had a quick visit to both hide area and the lochan on Monday 10th, at the hide a pair of gadwall were swimming in the burn,still lots of redshank about,a chiffchaff was calling right above my head, some disgruntled person has removed the leaflets from the please take on box (info for dog walkers)and scattered them in front of the hide,at the lochan the scaup has moved on and a male shovelar has turned up,a pair of shelducks have again appeared,(they have done this at this time for a couple of years)its a good opportunity to get close views of these birds, 1 redshank and some teals and mallards were resting,bob mcurley was here and had willow warbler/swallow and blackcap,nearby a pair of stockdoves have returned to their territory ,I was hoping to see youngsters last year but missed them,might have better luck this year

Attachments

• gadwall.jpg
    gadwall.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 111
  • shov.jpg
    shov.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 105
  • sheld.jpg
    sheld.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 111
  • stckd2.jpg
    stckd2.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 135
  • stdve.jpg
    stdve.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 129
Popped down to the park in the hope of some returning warblers and finished up with 47 species, but none of the hoped for species of warbler - still a bit too early after all. The visit of an RAF A400M Atlas transport plane to the airport next door gave me some nice photo opportunities with the local Skylarks while I waited for the plane to leave.

The cold weather seemed to limit the number of dog-walkers (unless the majority are going elsewhere while Fido can't run around uncontrolled all over the park), though one older woman with 2 spaniels who knew about the reasons merely said that she knew they were meant to be on a lead and that she tried to keep them off the hill - the dogs weren't listening to her one little bit just before I spoke to her, as she made a rather half-hearted attempt to look like she gave a damn what they were doing. She didn't put them on leads after I spoke to her either. Another couple were walking round the raised bit on the hill with a dog on a fully extended lead wandering on the slope (pretty much where I'd watched the Skylarks earlier). I shouted to them to ask them to keep the dog on the inside of the raised area, but again it was a case of in one ear and out the other. The only other dog walker I spoke to, happily put her dog on the lead and apologised for not reading the sign she had just walked past. The few other dog walkers seemed to be obeying the signs.

Species seen - Blackbird, Blackcap, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunnock, Gadwall (pair), Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Linnet, Magpie, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Mute Swan (pair), Oystercatcher (pair), Pied Wagtail, Redshank, Reed Bunting, Ringed Plover (pair), Robin, Feral Pigeon, Rook, Sand Martin, Shelduck, Skylark, Song Thrush, Starling (3), Stock Dove, Swallow, Teal, Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

I have heard that apparently someone has taken it upon themselves to remove the temporary dog control signs (put in place to protect ground nesting birds) at the nature park. Rules and regulations clearly do not apply to them.....(and as I've met a few in that category recently at the park, I would not be surprised if the perpetrator is one of those who I have actually encountered).

there was a moorhen paddling about on the lochan this morning,a new bird for me here although I did hear one calling in the flooded tree area a while back,no skylarks heard or seen

Attachments

• moorhen.jpg
    moorhen.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 117
on my last visit on the 19/06/17 I came across a moorhen on the lochan,this was the first moorhen I have seen in the park and I was surprised that it was on the lochan as this is basically a flooded field,when I visited today I saw 2 adult moorhens with 5 chicks on the lochan,i think this is a new breeding species for the park,still no sight or sound of any skylarks,the hill area is overgrown now maybe this has moved them on,3 magpie adults together at the car park and youngster's seen at two different areas

Attachments

• loch.jpg
    loch.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 120
  • yellowh.jpg
    yellowh.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 128
  • thrush.jpg
    thrush.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 115
  • wren.jpg
    wren.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 114
Had Moorhens looking for breeding sites (I think) a couple of years back but Buzzard Wood and Car Park trees flood areas both dried out and the birds disappeared. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the same birds. Is it 5 youngsters (which would be quite high, I think), or 3 as in the photo?

hi barry definitely 5 ,the youngsters were spread out and I couldn't get them all in one pic,it will be interesting to see how many survive ,the bigger gulls haven't been hanging around the lochan so they might all have a chance

Attachments

• mhh.jpg
    mhh.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 126
the moorhens on the lochan still have their 5 youngsters,the birds are now large juvs and are feeding independently of the adults,i thought at least 1 would have disappeared,later in the day I saw 2 arctic skuas perched on a rock at the start of Arbroath cliffs,this is the first perched skuas I have seen

Attachments

• mrh2.jpg
    mrh2.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 109
  • arctic2.jpg
    arctic2.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 129
  • acrctic.jpg
    acrctic.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 112
a little grebe has again appeared on the lochan,it never appeared last year but visted the 2 previous years , wonder where it has been ?

Popped in this afternoon for the first time in ages hoping to catch waders just before high tide. Timing was almost perfect but the only waders around were 5 or 6 Black Tailed Godwits. Views from around the hide were severely limited by the vegetation height but no birds on the still exposed mud at all. Council workers in a tractor keeping stuff away from the Lochan too. Rest of the park was pretty dead. Most birds seen were in flight, with a flock of Goldfinches in the hedge at the Lochan, a Robin at Buzzard Wood and a Willow Warbler at the car park being the exceptions (other than gulls/ducks in the bay).

A record low for me (I think) of only 14 species seen - Black Headed Gull, Black Tailed Godwit, Carrion Crow, Common Gull, Curlew, Goldfinch, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Swallow, Teal, Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon.

The one thing that I did note which hadn't changed was the amount of dog crap on the paths, and also abandoned bagged stuff left lying too (one up at top of the hill) and one just up from car park - too far to walk back to the bin, or to carry it round the corner to the next bin.

Popped down early yesterday (Monday 11th) for a spot of vis-migging and hoping to see Curlew Sandpiper. Lots of birds going over - around half a dozen Tree Pipits the best, plenty Meadow Pipits and Chaffinches, a few Swallows and a few flocks of Siskins. Both Bar Tailed and Black Tailed Godwits in the bay as the tide started to recede. But best of all was the Mediterranean Gull (only the 2nd for the park) alongside a few Common & Black Headeds. 41 species seen including a nice Jay, Little Grebe, Grey Wagtail, Sandwich Tern and Chiffchaff.

Attachments

• D5X_5591 20170911_090655.jpg
    D5X_5591 20170911_090655.jpg
    800.1 KB · Views: 129
great find barry, I headed down just before noon on Monday after seeing the agv message,the tide was well out and only a handful of gulls were on the pipe,the gull appeared and landed in the burn,it was a 5 sec visit (passing train)then it flew off into the bay,a new bird for me in the park :t:,what time did you catch the receding tide at ?,there was an unringed dipper behind the tunnel same day

Attachments

• lgrebe.jpg
    lgrebe.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 125
  • whteth.jpg
    whteth.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 132
Was more or less 9am, unfortunately I was being picked up at 9.15 to go for the Lesser Yellowlegs at Montrose, so missed out on the chance to go through the waders properly. However, can't complain as I did succeed in finding the Lesser Yellowlegs and then got Curlew Sandpiper (and Ruff and Whimbrel) on Tuesday at Balgove Bay, and Little Stint at The Wilderness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back