• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crested Tit (1 Viewer)

Deseo

Hi all, I am going to Mull in few weeks and would love to try for Crested Tit on my travels. Can anyone tell me the closest place to Oban that I could have a good chance of seeing them please. Cheers.

You'll need to go to Speyside. Loch an Eilein south of Aviemore might be the best bet. They're not found outside of the Spey/Nairn valleys.

Hi - The most reliable spot I've found for them is Boat of Garten. These's some feeders behind the Community Hall, and that's been very successful (my wife and I stop pretty much every time we're driving up the A9 to get our fix of cresties!). It's not exactly near Oban - about 4 hours round trip if you split off at Crianlarich - but the furthest south is Kingussie area, so it's pretty much going to be a trek.

Also at this time of year they are generally harder to see, as females are incubating, and much longer days for them to feed, so the more reliable the site the better (Loch Garten car park is another good spot).

Wish you a great trip - Mull is superb, I'm envious!

You'll need to go to Speyside. Loch an Eilein south of Aviemore might be the best bet. They're not found outside of the Spey/Nairn valleys.

Not quite true. They are found as far north as Lairg and as far west as Beinn Eighe.

Gordon Hamlett - Author of the Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

If I can find time I will definitely go for a look.

.....and a listen ;) the chances of finding these beauties are greatly increased by listening for their rather distinctive calls, once you are in a good area of course. It would double your chances at least IMO. They are rather unobtrusive and easily walked past... but no less tame than Blue Tits in the wilds.

Not quite true. They are found as far north as Lairg and as far west as Beinn Eighe.

Gordon Hamlett - Author of the Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

I didn't know that. Makes it all the more frustrating that they don't seem to make it over to Deeside on a more permanent basis.

I didn't know that. Makes it all the more frustrating that they don't seem to make it over to Deeside on a more permanent basis.

Agree totally - there are usually only one or two records a year from Deeside.

Even if they don't want to cross the Cairngorms, you would think that they might move east along the coast and then down. They have got as far as Lossie and Loch Spynie so far but don't seem to be heading south

Side note: Please, Gordon, how do you pronounce "Beinn Eighe?"

Thank you,
Kathi

Hi Kathi,

Aah, those Gaelic (pronounced gallic in Scotland) names.

Beinn Eighe rhymes with Ben Hay. Fortunately, you picked one of the easier ones - I'm struggling after that.;) Beinn, often anglicised on maps to 'Ben' means mountain eg Ben Nevis. Eighe means 'file' so you have a mountain shaped like a file.

Hope that helps,

Gordon

Hi Kathi,

Aah, those Gaelic (pronounced gallic in Scotland) names.

Beinn Eighe rhymes with Ben Hay. Fortunately, you picked one of the easier ones - I'm struggling after that.;) Beinn, often anglicised on maps to 'Ben' means mountain eg Ben Nevis. Eighe means 'file' so you have a mountain shaped like a file.

Hope that helps,

Gordon

How about Slochd and Avoch? ;)

Thanks, Gordon. I have a Gaelic learners handbook, but it isn't as helpful as I had hoped. When my sister and I are stymied by the Gaelic, we usually start with a consonant, add a vowel or two, and end in a gagging sound in the back of the throat. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back