• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia: Bishop? two weeks ago (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

I have a tough time with these little guys in non-breeding plumage. I'm thinking bishop (Northern Red), but I'm not sure. Any thoughts? There were about 10-15 of them all together. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9498.jpg
    IMG_9498.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9501.jpg
    IMG_9501.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9494.jpg
    IMG_9494.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 22
I am fairly new to sub-Saharan Africa and have only seen a few non-breeding bishops. However I think you are right that these birds are in the bishop family but they don't look like the non-breeding northern bishop I have seen.

I wonder if they are a closely related widowbird bird. I think I can see a chestnut shoulder on two of the birds and the mantle looks dark almost black. Do you get fan-tailed widowbird in Ethiopia? Apologies if I am off beam. I am using your post to help me in the future! Rob

Hi guys,

Bishops and Widowbirds belong to the same genus, Euplectes, the difference given in English being quite artificial. Widowbirds are the species with longer tails in breeding (male) plumage, bishops having shorter tails.

First look like Fan-tailed Widowbird indeed, others can be Yellow Bishops or Yellow-mantled Widowbirds?

I'm always unsure with those confusing little guys ;)

Alino, I know bishops and widowbirds are the same genus! You can be closely related within the same genus.

So the first one is a fan-tailed widowbird. I would expect a little less streaking on the flanks of yellow bishops I have seen so I can't personally easily make the second bird into a yellow bishop. I have no experience with yellow-mantled widowbird but the images look good for either of the second and third birds. My only reservation is that there looks like a hint of orange-red plumage on the second bird.

Alino, I know bishops and widowbirds are the same genus! You can be closely related within the same genus.

It is true, but in that case, a bird called "bishop" is not necessarily more closely related genetically with another bishop than a widowbird.

http://jboyd.net/Taxo/List28.html#ploceidae

So the first one is a fan-tailed widowbird. I would expect a little less streaking on the flanks of yellow bishops I have seen so I can't personally easily make the second bird into a yellow bishop. I have no experience with yellow-mantled widowbird but the images look good for either of the second and third birds. My only reservation is that there looks like a hint of orange-red plumage on the second bird.

The Fan-Tailed W. must be in some transitional plumage; I agree that that hint of orange is a bit bizarre.

Thanks for your input, everyone. Fan-tailed Widowbird is certainly common in Ethiopia, Rob, and I think you and the others are right that some of the shots are just that. I'm attaching another shot taken at the same time/location just for comparison. The thing I'm wondering about is how I can be sure that all of these shots are not Fan-tailed W. Are the rusty coverts showing through only found on Yellow-mantled W.'s?

Attachments

• IMG_9487.jpg
    IMG_9487.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 9
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back