• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (1 Viewer)

With a few Ring Ouzel about it may be worth checking the rough area between Tices Wood and Tongham GP. The only reported Ring Ouzel at Tices was seen in this area back in 2002.

Kevin.

Checked this area this afternoon with out success, as Rich reported 1st Garden Warbler singing along the bank. At least 6 Blackcap & 5 Chiffchaff around the area, the 4 Wheatears today are a pb count so far this spring. One or two Snipe still present around the reed bed & a large female Sparrowhawk persued by a gaggle of Pied Wags.

John.

Male Pied Flycatcher at the north end of the embankment at around 1900hrs. Seen by Kev Martin and Dave Baker. A first for Tice's I believe. John H and I dipped!

That's birding.

Rich

Male Pied Flycatcher at the north end of the embankment at around 1900hrs. Seen by Kev Martin and Dave Baker. A first for Tice's I believe. John H and I dipped!

That's birding.

Rich

It is a first for Tices Meadow.
Hopefully it's just roosted and will be refound later today. Can't make it this morning as in North London so if its seen again I will be looking on Friday morning.

Another bird that would be nice to see would be the Hoopoe in Crondall. Even better if it flies 7km East and lands at Tices!

Kevin

The previous earliest Garden Warbler was on the 25th April 2008 (RJS). The first time they were recorded was only in 2007.

Kevin

Kev,

I have always believed that Garden Warbler is overlooked with some not aware of the song. Funnily enough I had one this morning along the BWVP whilst out on a run. This species is perhaps 10 days early given average dates for early arrival.

Rich

Last edited:
Tices Meadow, Thursday 7th April

Hi Rich, I discovered your thread so I thought I would add my morning's sightings. Judging by Kevin's list of early dates the best thing I had was a Sedge Warbler singing in the reed/rush beds at the E end. Also 11 Cormorants, a pair of Teal, at least 2 LRPs, a pair of Lapwings, 4 Snipe, 1 Green Sand, 50 BHGs, 2 ad LBBGs, 1 Common Tern, 5 Sand Martins, 1 Meadow Pipit and Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers singing.

John

Hi Rich, I discovered your thread so I thought I would add my morning's sightings. Judging by Kevin's list of early dates the best thing I had was a Sedge Warbler singing in the reed/rush beds at the E end. Also 11 Cormorants, a pair of Teal, at least 2 LRPs, a pair of Lapwings, 4 Snipe, 1 Green Sand, 50 BHGs, 2 ad LBBGs, 1 Common Tern, 5 Sand Martins, 1 Meadow Pipit and Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers singing.

John

John,

Thanks. The first Sedge Warbler of the year! Things are looking up.

Rich

No sign of the Sedge or Garden Warbler today but Yellow Wagtail (2) added with males in the Silt Pond. A glorious day with bird song everywhere. Sand Martins (50+), LRP (4), Green Sandpiper (3), Wheatear (4) and Common Terns (4) confirmed that Spring had finally arrived.

Look forward to tomorrows early morning foray.

Rich

A couple of trips to Tice's for me today. In the morning I only located 1 Wheatear on the meadow. There were 2 Common Tern on the workings in addition to the usual gulls and cormorants. A Red Kite flew high over the houses towards Weybourne (West). I also was unable to find a Garden Warbler, although I caught a fleeting glimpse of something in amongst the reedbeds that may have been a Sedge Warbler.
After receiving a text from Rich about the two Yellow Wagtails, I dashed back after lunch but was not able to find them. There were now 5 male Wheatears on the meadow however, and it was good to hear a Whitethroat adding its voice to the already busy chorus of warbler song (at least four or five each of Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Willow Warbler).

Matt.

More new arrivals this morning, Common Sandpiper on the workings, Sedge Warbler in the reedbed, Whitethroat along the bank. Also 2 Green Sands, 6 LRP's, 2 Willow Warbler, Snipe, 30+ Sand Martin, min 5 Chiffchaff, 3+ Blackcap, 2+ Reed Bunting, 3 Skylark, 2 Lapwing, & 2 Little Grebe.

John.

Not much to add to John's tally although as I type I see that Kev M has just seen two Barnacle Geese on the meadow. Might have to go back!

Rich

Last edited:
A quick look at Surrey Birders (www.birders-online.co.uk) this afternoon had me scuttling off to Tice's for a lone Redshank found by Dave B. This was a year patchlist bird which I had missed previously. The bird was quickly located at the far side of the gravel pit but showing well.

Good views of a Garden Warbler singing near the river and at least 4 Whitethroats in full song.

Rich

Last edited:
Great start this morning finding an Oystercatcher on the workings, not sure how many previous records but deffo a site first for me. Also a male Wheatear, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Green Sandpiper, & 6 LRP's.

John.

Great start this morning finding an Oystercatcher on the workings, not sure how many previous records but deffo a site first for me. Also a male Wheatear, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Green Sandpiper, & 6 LRP's.

John.

John,

a site bird for me as well. Many thanks for the early morning text! What was worthy of note was the 100+ Sand Martins resting on the spit.

Rich

Last edited:
A quick visit this afternoon which quickly found a Water Pipit on 'Wheatear Field' amongst 10 Meadow Pipits. The Oystercatcher had gone but the LRPs remained; this was despite the fact that local kids were playing in the silt ponds. This highlights the fragility of Tice's and the ever present chance of disturbance. A female Sparrowhawk sparked up some confusion in the hawthorns and left with a bird which was probably a newly arrived Whitethroat; all that way to become hawk fodder!

Rich

Last edited:
Water Pipit

Rich ... what do you mean by Wheatear field? I haven't seen a local Water Pipit for some years. What plumage was your bird in? I will have a look later.

John

Rich ... what do you mean by Wheatear field? I haven't seen a local Water Pipit for some years. What plumage was your bird in? I will have a look later.

John

John,

the Wheatear field is a colloquialism for the area in front of the southern end of the embankment (where the Wheatears generally are).

The bird was in near breeding plumage although a little scruffy and was feeding along with 10 or so Meadows.

Rich

Rich, no sign of the pipits but Oyc still present, spotted by Dave Baker. Also 2 Green Sands, around 6 LRPs and a dead Cormorant upside down in the water! Hope it's not been shot!

John

Rich, no sign of the pipits but Oyc still present, spotted by Dave Baker. Also 2 Green Sands, around 6 LRPs and a dead Cormorant upside down in the water! Hope it's not been shot!

John

John,

shame about the Cormorant - there has been a guy with a rifle about and Rich H had reported it. Good news about the Oystercatcher though - it wasn't there at 1500hrs, possibly due to kids around the workings.

The Water Pipit is the third one this year, with one overhead last month, 1 seen by John H and Rich H a couple of weeks back and the one today. Dave Smith found one last year in the same area.

Rich

Great start this morning finding an Oystercatcher on the workings, not sure how many previous records but deffo a site first for me.

John.

Only 3 previous records, all of single birds. The first record was in 2007, followed by two in 2009 which could have involved the same bird.

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back