• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Commute List - Record Broken (1 Viewer)

Things are quieter now - almost nothing singing or even calling - so numbers have dropped.
But consolation in quality.
85 Lapwings by the road and twice now a Stonechat or two.

Highlights this afternoon included a Raven chasing a Buzzard, a Stonechat and a migrating Wheatear, as well as a Grey Wagtail as I set out.

A very respectable 38.

Highlight today was a Peregrine cruising the terminal buildings as I got to work.
Prior to that a calling Golden Plover and two Ravens over the tops were also nice bonuses.
And, despite a few I didn't see yesterday in the list, a reasonable 36.

Last edited:
As the season moves and the nights lengthen my commute this week has started at dawn.
This has reduced the spieces, so mornings have not been as good.
Swallows, Sparrows and Swifts are unavailable - but early singers like Chiffchaff and Blackcap can be heard first thing.

Also the breeding season is largely over now and even the moorland birds are moving around.
Yesterday in pouring rain the Oystercatchers were nowhere to be seen and the Lapwings and Curlews - at first elusive - were flying off elsewhere.
Rooks seem to have moved on and often aren't seen on my journey - where do they go?!

Next week I'm on nights - so things will be different on the commute.

Well, first commute onto the night shift & the highlight undoubtably the Little Owl perching on the goal posts of the local footy pitch!
But, although they were around just half an hour before the Swifts were gone by the time I set off.

A reasonable 28 - swelled by the three tit species in the garden as I set out, ending on Pied Wagtail as I got to work at dusk. Several common species not seen, however.

A new record this morning!

Good 'extras' were Sand Martin, Treecreeper & Long-tailed Tits.
Then on reaching home a Sparrowhawk and a Hobby were chasing each other around the valley!

Total today a fabulous 46.

And Mistle Thrushes and Dunnock refused to show !

Things have really slowed down now - difficult to reach 30 on a good day. Six Kestrels yesterday was good though.

All the waders have moved on - except for a few young Curlews. Warblers have stopped singing and things are generally quiet. Numbers of hirundines are down considerably and even the Canada Geese have moved on.

Weather hasn't helped the last few days either.

Had a Swift fly over last night at dusk on my way to work - suspect it might be my last of the year.

Two days of complete contrast, yesterday & today.

Saturday, despite the weather being perfect I managed to see just 18 species - something of a low record for decent conditions.

Yet, today, despite the low cloud and just-stopped rain a fantastic 38! Highlights were a migrant Wheatear and a Stonechat over the tops and three Buzzards circling together later on. Still one or two missing, though - Rook & Pied Wagtail noticeable by their absence, for instance.

All the waders and Swifts have gone now, and Willow Warbler the only example of that family.

A quality return home at midnight - only three species - but a Barn Owl mega !! (Tawny Owl & Robin singing the other two)

My morning commute now begins in darkness and ends at dawn - for now!

So, this morning an early Wren was the sole bird.

Later going in this morning - and the day started with a garden year tick - a Yellow Wagtail.
The total grew to 38 with Long-tailed Tit and Willow Warbler the last two at work.
Not a single finch though and Great Tit & Black-headed Gull missing - both seen on the way home - bringing the day's total to a very respectable 40.

Dusk last night:

Had to stop to avoid a young Mountain Hare which was hypnotised by a Stoat - jumping around it, ready to pounce.
Unfortunately I interrupted the hunt and the Stoat made off without the kill.
Hare remained in the road until I got out of the car - then it roused itself and made off!

A very creditable 34 this morning - with Grey Wagtails at start and finish, & a Kestrel catching a Mipit.

A Bit Of A Cheat

Last night I set off early & did a slight (250 metre) detour to take in the local reservoir.

Sunset was already underway - so some birds were already gone to roost. Nevertheless I managed a figure of 40 for the journey - not something achieved for a while.

With the last of the Willow Warblers calling and a couple of Oystercatchers visiting the water, plus species like Goosander, Heron, Coot, Snipe and Moorhen to add at the detour, I was also surprised to hear Linnets flying past. Curlews calling also showed that they haven't completly deserted their breeding grounds yet.

With 39 on the list by the time darkness had fallen, I'd stopped for fuel when a flock of Canada Geese flew over, bring the total to 40! And that was without the usually guaranteed Magpie, nor a single gull, amongst others.

All in all a very pleasant commute.

A brilliant commute yesterday -set off a little early to linger in a couple of good spots:

First up a garden year tick of Tree Sparrow over! Also a Heron flew past and two Nuthatches in the near trees.
Though the weather was dull, with low cloud - or perhaps because of it - a Yellow Wagtail that I'd found a couple of days ago flew over calling and the Swallows and House Martins were gathered over the local lake.
A big flock of Mistle Thrushes amongst a throng of birds later - including a couple of continental Song Thrushes , many Starlings and Goldfinches with a single Linnet. While a Chiffchaff obliged nearby. Pied Wagtails aplenty and a single Buzzard added to the day's list but yesterday's Stonechats refused to show.
With 39 by the time I got to work a couple of Grey Wagtails there made the 40.
And that without House Sparrow!

Now that autumn has seen off the last of the summer birds the commute list has taken a bashing. So it was good to get a few goodies on the way to work today.

At the local reservoir a Raven could be heard distantly, as a Linnet flew past. A Kestrel and a Sparrowhawk came past almost together very shortly after.

A late Wheatear bobbed along a wall by the road.

Next a Redpoll put in an appearance - a very rarely seen commute bird. Buzzards were up - and even three together at work.

So a great total of 34 - despite lack of Great and Coal Tits, Mistle Thrush and Red Grouse!

11pm last night in the car park at work: a Woodcock zoomed out from the narrow belt of trees and into the night sky!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back