• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN883 and Canon 70D...? (2 Viewers)

dickyduck

Hi everyone,
I bought a Canon 500mm F/4 L II USM last year, and whilst I enjoy using it, I'm thinking of swapping the lens for a new scope (partly as an excuse to upgrade my old scope and partly because of the weight difference....)
I use a Canon 70D, which I love. Does this and the Kowa sound like a sensible combination...? This is my first foray into digiscoping, so any advice you have would be very gratefully received.
Thank you!
Dickyduck

I cannot help with your choice of scope but I have had some good results with my 70D on a Swarovski ATS80HD scope. You will need a balance rail to help with the centre of gravity as the scope will tip backwards when you attach the camera onto the scope eyepiece.

My setup is 70D body/40mm 2.8 lens/DCA (Swarovski's eyepiece adaptor)/Scope eyepiece. I would suggest buying a straight scope instead of an angled version as it would be much easier to locate your subject, just like using a high magnification camera lens as I find, with my angled scope, some difficulty in locating birds in flight. A remote release is an advantage as it helps to alleviate camera movement. Live View is also useful as you can magnify the image on the monitor to check focus.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back