• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Badger cubs (1 Viewer)

MTem

I received (bought myself) a trail camera for 'Xmas', and positioned it above the badger sett at the top of the garden. They appear most nights for a photoshoot, and it seems there are at least 3 adults. Last year there were 2 cubs, but one got splattered on the lane when half grown, so possibly the third one is that cub from last year. Well now it seems we have cubs again, at least one, but I think I see a second one in one of the shots.

Interestingly if we never went up to the sett (it's only about 50m from the house, and less than 20m from my workshop) we would never know they were there. They seem to always leave off into the wood or across the fields, and rarely/never seem to venture towards the house and have never messed with my garden plants or veg. Unlike the fox (who has also appeared on camera, along with roe deer, next door's dog, some feral cats and the odd pigeon/jackdaw) we have never seen them in the garden proper at any time, even when there's fruit on the ground. Seems we are close enough to provide some protection and far enough away to be tolerated. Works for me.

On summer evenings we often venture up just as the light goes and as long as you stand downwind they will appear and put on a show before heading off out to forage.

... and none of the local farmers have had cattle fail their TB test....

Mick

Attachments

• Mar17-3 UK.jpg
    Mar17-3 UK.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Mar17-4 UK.jpg
    Mar17-4 UK.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Mar17-5 UK.jpg
    Mar17-5 UK.jpg
    835.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Mar17-1 UK.jpg
    Mar17-1 UK.jpg
    811 KB · Views: 40
  • Mar17-2 UK.jpg
    Mar17-2 UK.jpg
    850.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back