• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there any reason I should not use my TV scopes for spotting? (1 Viewer)

CSG

United States
Other than a correct L/R image and waterproofing, etc. what am I missing?

I used my TV Pronto today, mostly with a 20mm TV Plossl and a 45 degree erecting prism and it seemed pretty good to me. I ended up putting my 2" diagonal back in and gotter better images still (albeit reversed).

Also ordered a Baader Hyperion 8-24 Mark IV ep as it would replicate the zoom function most spotters have.

Anyway, for casual birding and wildlife viewing, do I gain anything by buying a dedicated spotting scope?

...do I gain anything by buying a dedicated spotting scope?

Optically, likely not, especially against scopes of similar objective diameter. Dedicated spotters are just more compact, easier to pack, and often waterproof. If it works for you, stick with what you've got. Don't get something different unless you have a problem you need to solve w/such a purchase.

--AP

I'm a wuss when it comes to outdoorsy stuff, including birding. That translates to: if it looks like rain, I'm not going out. It was the compact nature and inherent rugged design that made me think of a dedicated scope but, geez, the Pronto is pretty darn good and I've got all the stuff for it I need (mount, case, eps, etc.).

Appreciate the comment, Alexis.

Hi,

if your Pronto is ok for your application, I would continue to use it. I would not expect a spotter of comparable aperture to give a better view - to the contrary, with a 2" wide angle EP the Pronto will give you views impossible in a spotter. Although a spotter will be lighter and waterproof.

Joachim

Well, I've spent a few days using both my Televue Pronto and my Televue TV-85 on their respective mounts (Telepod heads with the Pronto on Telepod legs and the TV-85 on a Telepod head and the rather heavy Manfrotto 475B). The Pronto is pretty lightweight on its mount and gives very nice views but when I tried digiscoping with it, the CA was apparent under crop. The TV-85 is, not surprisingly, stunningly good. So using the TV-85 with various eps as well as the Celestron 8-24 zoom (narrow field but pretty sharp throughout the range) and a mix of 2" diagonal with 2" eps and the 45 amici, let me see up to 75x (with the 8-24) and I was quite pleased. However, it's a LOT of kit to deal with and heavy to move around in the field (matters much less for astro as you're typically set and down if you're in the open).

What I've decided is to try and find an 80mm class spotter that will be easier to use and move and am focusing on the Kowa TSN-88 or, possibly, the Swaro ATS-80. Considering the price difference, 8mm more aperture of pure fluorite objective, and generally outstanding reviews, I think I'll focus on the Kowa. The Meopta S2 in another contender as I can get one new for about $1900 with the ep.

Here's a photo of the Pronto mounted as a spotting scope (45 diagonal, Celestron 8-24 ep, Manfrotto 501 head, Telepod legs). I must say, it works pretty well in this incarnation and by switching diagonals and adding the Starbeam finder back on, does a good job with astro. Tonight, on this mount, I used a 2" diagonal and Pentax XL 5.2mm ep and was pretty satisfied with a view of Jupiter at 92x.

Your set up looks easier to move around than the Celestron 80ED that I have.

Attachments

• 10538sandmound_hawk_computer_fall_2008_107_Large_.jpg
    10538sandmound_hawk_computer_fall_2008_107_Large_.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Looks like we have the same head but you have a longer tube and what, the 3036?

Mine is easy enough to move around the property but I wouldn't want to hike any distance with it as it must weigh 15# or more depending on diagonal and ep.

CSG,

I recently went through something similar. I have a TV Oracle, the predecessor to the 85. It is a 3 inch F7.4 triplet with 2" diagonal, so kind of in between the 76 and 85. I used a TV 8-24 Zoom and Williams Optics 45 deg erecting prism for birding. I had it mounted on an Alt/Az head intended for astronomy and a Bogen (Manfrotto) studio tripod. The issue for me was weight and transportability (see disclaimer below) and only secondarily weather proofing.

The telescope with diagonal and eyepiece is probably in the 9 lb range, and finding a portable photo tripod/head to handle that steadily is tough. My astronomy setup up with head and tripod worked beautifully, but it weighed around 20 lb. That's OK at home looking off the balcony, or to unload from the car, but not to carry around in the field. Also, assembly and disassembly was not instantaneous. The field of view of the TV Zoom is not very wide, and the lowest power was around 23x if I remember right, but of course the views were very good.

I opted for an Opticron MM3 60 spotting scope. It weighs just over two lb with zoom eyepiece, and it works nicely on a portable tripod with either ball head or alt/az head. It is very backpack transportable, quickly assembled, and in the field it's easy to carry scope/tripod combination over the shoulder. The think it may weight 6 lb assembled. The view is excellent, and I prefer the lower lowest power (15x) which gives a wider actual field. The Oracle was better at the higher power, but the color in the Opticron seemed a bit more vibrant and the Opticron was easier to use in a number of respects. I went with a 60mm spotter because I wanted portability (size and weight) and I had seen good reviews of both the 50mm and 60mm Opticron.

So if you are staying in one spot, stick with what you have, but if you plan to wander around with your telescope, consider investing in a compact spotter and decent portable tripod/head combo.

Disclaimer: I have only had my spotter out in the field five or six times in the past four months although I bird a couple times a week. I try to go out with experienced birding groups whenever possible, and more often than not there are a couple people who bring spotting scopes. So in some ways a spotting scope is like a large telescope or a boat, it may be better to have a friend with a good spotting scope than to buy one. OTH, my Oracle is packed up and back to strictly astronomy duty and I use the Opticron almost daily from home to look at sea birds out my window.

Alan

Alan, I kind of went through a similar thought process as you. I was pretty convinced the Swaro ATS-65 would be a great choice but the more I thought about it, the more I decided I wanted a bigger aperture for all the obvious reasons. I ended up ordering a Kowa TSN-883 with the 25-60x ep as it's still under half the weight of my Pronto.

I plan to use it out an about but I don't see humping it along far from my vehicle. We have some great wildlife refuges around here with pretty good vehicle access. I suppose if I got really serious I could always buy a second, smaller scope. Unless I have to pay a divorce lawyer... ;)

Looks like we have the same head but you have a longer tube and what, the 3036?

Mine is easy enough to move around the property but I wouldn't want to hike any distance with it as it must weigh 15# or more depending on diagonal and ep.

I use this off the back porch and don't hike around with it. The Nikon 50ED is perfect for that. I have open fields with forest behind.

I plan to use it out an about but I don't see humping it along far from my vehicle. We have some great wildlife refuges around here with pretty good vehicle access. I suppose if I got really serious I could always buy a second, smaller scope. Unless I have to pay a divorce lawyer... ;)

Actually there is no need for divorce lawyers or a 2nd scope - have a look at the scopac or the clones which allow carrying the scope on the tripod like a backpack (it actually has a small backpack for a guide, a second EP, a bottle of water and a snack) - this is really warmly recommended and allows me to carry my 4.5 kg package of scope, head and tripod (there might have been a guide and the 30 wide EP in the scopac when I was weighting it) on longer walks without hassle.

Joachim

Optically, likely not, especially against scopes of similar objective diameter. Dedicated spotters are just more compact, easier to pack, and often waterproof. If it works for you, stick with what you've got. Don't get something different unless you have a problem you need to solve w/such a purchase.

--AP

to use a spotter one attaches the scope to the tripod-2 pieces and one connection
with the telescope, attach the diagonal to the scope, then the ep, then attach to tripod or mount- 4 pieces and 3 connections
just a little harder, a little more time consuming; but agree with Alexis. if it works.........

edj

that current add by TeleVue of the TV60 in small bag with eps and diagonal is appealing

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back