• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod head and plate for my KOWA scope (1 Viewer)

Peter Ericsson

I have 3 tripods....all of them with that one screw to hold the scope in place.
All of them come loose all the time when in the field.
I have a KOWA TSN 883......
Besides drilling a hole in the foot of the scope and the plate is there another solution? This must be a common problem.

Pete

I used a plate for my 100 ED and 80 ED refractors, something like this might help if you added a post with V at the top

Attachments

• orion 100ED,fall pictures 008 (800x532)1 (Small).jpg
    orion 100ED,fall pictures 008 (800x532)1 (Small).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 10538sandmound_hawk_computer_fall_2008_107_Large_.jpg
    10538sandmound_hawk_computer_fall_2008_107_Large_.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 83
Hi,

the foot of the 883 has two extra holes (one round and one long) for securing. You just need a plate which has a securing bolt - if this is in, there is no chance for the scope to turn vs. the plate and thus wiggle loose.

See last image of the foot with securing holes:

http://www.optics4birding.com/kowa-tsn-883-spotting-scope-review.aspx

Joachim

An anti-rotation pin reduces the chance of the scope coming loose but as I've discovered it's not 100% effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back