• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whisby, Lincolnshire (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Planning a visit to Whisby and had afew questions.
Is it too late for Nightingales - seeing and singing? How easy are they to see?

don't know the site but next week or two should be good for nightingales, slightly late further south camapred to the last few years

When I lived in Lincoln, mid to late May was always a good time to get Nightingales at Whisby .............. the following photo was taken 20/05/2013

Attachments

• Nightingale Sample.jpg
    Nightingale Sample.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 52

Was at Whisby Bank Hol weekend and saw one reasonably well. The one I saw was just before you come to the bridge over the railway, also heard it there again next day. Only 4 there this year apparently so not a good year for them. Off to Highnam woods tonight to catch up with them again (lot nearer home).

Nick

From Ben Ward (Whisby local regular, via twitter pm):

Certainly not too late for Nightingale, in the worst year for them here to date, activity levels have picked up this last week or so, birds singing and showing occasionally today.

Thanks all for the help - I do not want to get it wrong lol.

Will be travelling from Lancashire and make a stop at Blacktoft on way back. Any other good places to visit between Whisby and m62? I would love to see Woodlark - never seen one yet - any tips in this area?

Good luck at Whisby, it's my local patch and this is the worst year as long as I can remember. Days and days of cold easterlies have had a bad effect on a site where, normally, there are 10 to 12 singing males at the end of April.
Although I've not been there for a few years the LWT reserve at Kirkby Moor was pretty good for woodlark
http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/wildlife/reserves
That's in the wrong direction for Blacktoft but another good LWT reserve which you could sweep up is Messingham Sand Pits.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back