• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D300 flash settings (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
This may be a stupid question so apologies.

I am using my D300 with the onboard flash in Aperture priority but the shutter speed will not go above 1/60th so I am getting blurred photos as the subjects are moving a little. I seem to get the same when using my SB-600 as well.

I have changed to shutter priority to get faster shutter speed and this helps but can anyone suggest the best settings to use for both slow and fast moving subjects using both the onboard and SB-600 flash.

Thanks

Mark

It makes sense to use Shutter Priority on fast moving subjects, where a minimum shutter speed is required.

High Speed syncs at any shutter speed are possible, although as the shutter speed increases the flash's range will decrease. You can increase ISO to help to some extent, going from 200>800 will double the range for example.

Both the onboard flash and the SB-600 will operate in Auto FP High Speed Sync mode, assuming it is activated in the Custom Settings (e1).

Here's a useful guide, although the subject is briefly covered in the SB-600 manual (p.48/9). HTH

It makes sense to use Shutter Priority on fast moving subjects, where a minimum shutter speed is required.

High Speed syncs at any shutter speed are possible, although as the shutter speed increases the flash's range will decrease. You can increase ISO to help to some extent, going from 200>800 will double the range for example.

Both the onboard flash and the SB-600 will operate in Auto FP High Speed Sync mode, assuming it is activated in the Custom Settings (e1).

Here's a useful guide, although the subject is briefly covered in the SB-600 manual (p.48/9). HTH

Thanks I have activated the Auto FP Sync mode, looks like Shutter priority is the way forwards and upping the ISO a but. Range is not an issue as the subjects are close.

Many Thanks

Mark

The on-board flash of the D300 has a max sync speed of 1/250s in normal mode and 1/320s in HS mode (the flash guns will sync up to 1/8000s, but with only short reach). The difference in reach is quite dramatic!

Not sure about your shooting situation, but when using a TTL flash I would give it a try and let it do its magic rather than using one of the camera auto modes.

Set the camera to the shutter speed you want (and the flash can sync with, see above), set an aperture that get you close to the required exposure (wide open will increase efficient range of flash), ISO as high as you can live with, and let the flash do the rest .........

The on-board flash of the D300 has a max sync speed of 1/250s in normal mode and 1/320s in HS mode (the flash guns will sync up to 1/8000s, but with only short reach). The difference in reach is quite dramatic!

Not sure about your shooting situation, but when using a TTL flash I would give it a try and let it do its magic rather than using one of the camera auto modes.

Set the camera to the shutter speed you want (and the flash can sync with, see above), set an aperture that get you close to the required exposure (wide open will increase efficient range of flash), ISO as high as you can live with, and let the flash do the rest .........

Thanks I will do some experimenting

Mark

The on-board flash of the D300 has a max sync speed of 1/250s in normal mode and 1/320s in HS mode (the flash guns will sync up to 1/8000s, but with only short reach)...

Quite correct, I should have been clearer in my explanation |:$|.

You can use the onboard flash as the commander and achieve full HS sync from your remote SB-600. Gotta love Nikon's CLS! I have Custom Setting e3 (Flash control for built in flash) as one of the items on My Menu. Just remember to press OK to confirm any changes within e3.

With close subjects it's possible to get an unwanted catchlight from the built in Speedlight even if it is deselected in CS e3 it still fires, the wireless operation uses IR to communicate with the remote so there are a few simple options if its bothersome.

You can just use a finger between the inbuilt flash and subject as a mask, pay for Nikon's little adapter (SG-31R?) or try an old piece of exposed film as an IR filter. Who said film was dead? |;|

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back