• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finches - Genovesa, Galapagos (1 Viewer)

BobbyJim

I've been sorting through and identifying the birds I photographed In Ecuador/Galapagos. I have now got to the tricky bit of identifying the finches.
These photos were all taken on Genovesa on 28/10/17.
From what I've read I should be able to narrow down the choices to Sharp-beaked Ground-Finch, Large Cactus-Finch and Genovesa Ground-Finch.
Of course I could be completely wrong as usual. Expert help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2585 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_2585 (Copy).JPG
    435.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2722 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_2722 (Copy).JPG
    452.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2889 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_2889 (Copy).JPG
    573.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2910 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_2910 (Copy).JPG
    509.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2923 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_2923 (Copy).JPG
    339 KB · Views: 24
Genovesa ground finch and sharp-beaked from Genovesa is the same thing, just a newer and an older name.

I am currently without my books, but I believe the cactus finch on that island is rather large-beaked.However, according to Avibase these species are all found in Genovesa:

Gray Warbler Finch Certhidea fusca
Large Ground Finch Geospiza magnirostris Endemic (country/region)
Medium Ground Finch Geospiza fortis Endemic (country/region)
Sharp-beaked Ground Finch Geospiza difficilis Endemic (country/region)
Large Cactus Finch Geospiza conirostris Endemic (country/region)

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back