• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (1 Viewer)

Whoops - I posted that scarce chaser would be next out - silly me, of course it will be Banded Demoiselle - already reported today from Dorset.

Hairy Dragonflies at Strumpshaw today.
Stopped at Waveney Forest on the way home. seven Hairies and several Large Red Damsels

Saw my first Broad boddied chasers ( 2 ) today at Swanton Novers along with a very few Azure and large red damselflies. Dragonflies are very late in this part of Norfolk this year. Also first black tailed skimmer at the Wensum Valley watchpoint.

A bit late with my sightings I suspect , but I saw my first banded demoiselle on the river Wensum at Bintree Mill this afternoon.

Walked the New Cut from St Olaves to opposite Reedham: 4 spots, azure and blue-tailed damsels plus my first black-tailed skimmers. Yesterday at Sweet Briar Rd LNR in Norwich I had my first Emperor, along with 4-spot, broad-bodied chasers and common blue damsels. several Banded along the river right up to Halfords.

In Norfolk in name, if not in space, there were a couple of Norfolk Hawkers hunting along a field edge near home today. The spot is about a mile south of the Norfolk/Suffolk border where it runs along the Waveney. A couple of Broad-bodied Chasers were also in the same area.

Last edited:
Had this nice 4 spot today at Sculthorpe Moor. Also seen was a banded demoiselle that wouldn't pose for me !

Attachments

• four spotted chaser 2 2009-31-05 sculthorpe moor.jpg
    four spotted chaser 2 2009-31-05 sculthorpe moor.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 109
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread but could someone please identify this damselfly seen at Strumpshaw on Saturday, near the tower hide? In the sunlight it appeared as a bright, iridescent acidic yellow.

I also saw my first Banded Demoiselles of the year along the Lackford Run.

Ron

Attachments

• Damselfly-small.jpg
    Damselfly-small.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 107
It's a female Banded Demoiselle - the blue one's are the males.

Apparently several Red-Veined Darters seen this weekend around the country. Not heard of any in Norfolk, but worth checking carefully any darters you see. (The tricks to check the eyes - rvd have the lower half blue)

Many thanks HarassedDad. I did check the Norfolk Dragons site but I guess I didn't look at Banded Demoiselles as I thought I could recognise them. Oops!

Ron

Black-tailed Skimmers on the pond at mousehold yesterday, along with an emperor. Hairy still flying at the new broad over the river from whitlingham on sunday along with 4 spot.
The river behind Bayers - off marlpit lane, was heaving with banded on tuesday 50+ seen plus emperor by the weir.

Three tenneral southern Hawkers out today hunting the woodland rides at Swanton Novers along with an emperor and a number of common blue and azure damselflies.

I saw this today at Strumpshaw. I'm not an expert at dragonflies but my guess is a female Scarce Chaser. I would appreciate an expert opinion please.

Lewis

Attachments

• strumpshaw-038sc.jpg
    strumpshaw-038sc.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 124
There were several Norfolk Hawkers at Strumpshaw on Saturday. This one was at the end of the Pump House trail, near the woods.

Ron

Attachments

• Norfolk-Hawker-small.jpg
    Norfolk-Hawker-small.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 113
I saw this today at Strumpshaw. I'm not an expert at dragonflies but my guess is a female Scarce Chaser. I would appreciate an expert opinion please.

Lewis

Yep, scarce chaser. I had a male there on Saturday - my first from that site. (They've been there for ages but I kept missing them.) 12 species in total:
Emperor, Norfolk, Hairy, 4 Spot, BBC, Scarce, BTS, Banded, Azure, large Red, Red-eyed and Blue-tailed.

In other news Brown Hawker reported yesterday at Catfield.

Dragonflies at Catfield 14 June 2009

Brown Hawker reported yesterday at Catfield.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Harassed Dad. Did see flyby brown hawker (or two), first in 2009
First and only red admiral of the year so far as well

Better views of four-spotted chaser, hairy hawker and Norfolk Hawker

Attachments

• Four spotted chaser Catfield 14 June 2009.jpg
    Four spotted chaser Catfield 14 June 2009.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 95
  • HairyHawker having a damselfly for lunch Catfield Fen 14 June 2009.jpg
    HairyHawker having a damselfly for lunch Catfield Fen 14 June 2009.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 98
  • NorfolkHawker Catfield Fen 14 June 2009.jpg
    NorfolkHawker Catfield Fen 14 June 2009.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 107
Yep, scarce chaser. I had a male there on Saturday - my first from that site. (They've been there for ages but I kept missing them.) 12 species in total:
Emperor, Norfolk, Hairy, 4 Spot, BBC, Scarce, BTS, Banded, Azure, large Red, Red-eyed and Blue-tailed.

In other news Brown Hawker reported yesterday at Catfield.

Thanks for the confirmation HarassedDad. Sorry for the delayed responce but had to deal with some flooding at my mothers house yesterday.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back