• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On The Hoof - Fieldwork From Orkney (1 Viewer)

. . ..

Attachments

• DSCN5924.JPG
    DSCN5924.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN5925.JPG
    DSCN5925.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN5926.JPG
    DSCN5926.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN5927.JPG
    DSCN5927.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN5928.JPG
    DSCN5928.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 43
There's more?! Can't wait! Looks like you had a drop of rain, some of those pages have the wrinkles of authenticity! All genius but the flight studies are simply outstanding.

I hope this little lot will be studio fodder over the coming weeks?

Mike

Wow, what a great series here! Always nice to see the puffins, but I particularly like the color studies of the razorbills. It was also nice to see some studies of the place to put the birds in a bit of context as well. My favorite, though, has to be the baby shag with the monstrous feet! Quite a treat here!

Hi Tim,

do you really sit there between the birds and draw them?

They look so real, all of them. My favourite is the puffin.

I've heard those sweet chaps are eaten somewhere up in the north. O:-(

Ulrike

MAN…… what a selection of fine sketches. I also like the colour studies of the razorbills and as for the ID 333438 I would just frame it and hang it on the wall. I often find many of these field studies better than final studio paintings.
This has nothing to do with birds but when I was in Orkney recently I was surprised to see so many of these abandoned houses/cottages and here yet another one on Swona. Are they just left there for many years ?

Torben

Yeah Tim, great work as usual mate - love your colour sketches although aren't you dying to splash some colour on that puffin's bill too??.....I know I would be!! Like the little Shag too, nice to draw birds at unusual stages intheir lives as it makes us study them harder as their bits aren't always where we'd expect them to be

You are such a prolific artist Tim!
While there's not just quantity but most of all quality at its best!
I love the baby Shag? in particular!!

Paschalis

You are such a prolific artist Tim!
While there's not just quantity but most of all quality at its best!
Paschalis

Just what I was thinking. Did you have time to eat or sleep while you were there:?

And it was nice to be reminded of how much I enjoy your landscapes/seascapes. I particularly enjoyed that very first watercolor. As John says it sets the scene and makes everything else more enjoyable.

I just got back on to this thread to see what my comment was after gaping in awe once more - and guess what, I just gaped and left silently. I really have run out of words.

Cor! What fine examples of a master at work. Simply superb draughtmanship as usual. I love the capture of light on the coloured razorbills - quite wonderful. Never sketched puffins but that bill, especially face on or in 3/4 looks a bxxxxr to get right, but these are well and truly nailed.
I think, as you told me, you may need to ever so slightly 're-draw' the face on shag and fulmar - seems your human, hee, hee.

I love it all

Russ

Ouch!
A bumper outporing of brilliance! Outstanding and inspiring on all levels. And such prolificity!
Astonishing stuff Tim!

Unforgiveable really - it's taken me until July to make the trek to Yesnaby to see my skuas. But yesterday I finally nipped out the gallery and drove the few miles to the coastal moorland breding site - breeding site being an optomistic term most recent years and this one it's pure fiction. Happening upon a bonxie siting plum in the middle of the 'colony' was an inauspicious beginning - the fact that he was unmolested only added to the concern. Another great skua came through, but this time was half-heartedly scolded by a pale phase arctic - life, at least. Eventually I found a couple of birds keeping fairly close together and faithful to a territory (although it was obvious when both birds left the area that they were defending no progeny. I did manage a couple of drawings and, when they left, I was about to pack up and follow them when a chacking-whistle drifted into my consciousness - wheatear alarm. Scanning the heather I saw a very bedraggled cock bird flitting around near a juvenile. I then saw another youngster, not more than 20 feet from where I had been sitting for the past half-hour. It must have been there all along and was totally rooted to the spot (frozen with anxiety, perhaps). It stayed almost motionless for the best part of 25 minutes longer while I drew it twice and then commited to a colour study. I've never known this behaviour in a fully fledged wheatear chick.
A little later I found a couple of dark-phase skuas and made a few studies.
On my return home I had an hour in the bird-hide and was delighted to have a young snipe drop in and spend an hour around the margins of the pond (a first for the 'nature reserve) - food for some work, here - methinks.

Attachments

• DSCN6035.JPG
    DSCN6035.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN6036.JPG
    DSCN6036.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN6037.JPG
    DSCN6037.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN6042.JPG
    DSCN6042.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
. . .

Attachments

• DSCN6043.JPG
    DSCN6043.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN6044.JPG
    DSCN6044.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN6045.JPG
    DSCN6045.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN6046.JPG
    DSCN6046.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN6033.JPG
    DSCN6033.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
All of them are brilliant but the coloured ones -Wheatear and skua-
are my favorites!They are truly bathing in light!!

Paschalis

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back