• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP!!! on posting painting to USA (1 Viewer)

mark richards

United Kingdom
hi all , just sold one of my paintings to someone in California USA...
never posted there before any recommendations on who to ship with?
or any tips? should i use paypal for payment...thanks mark....

Mark - I've jus sold a couple of pieces to a collector in the States. we used a bank transfer as it's the safest way (IMO) as I think PayPal take a % for the payment (not sure on this). How big is the piece your sending? I always use Royal Mail International Signed-for (for just over £11 it's covered for £500 and you can always pay a bit more if you need more insurance) and never had any problems with them (yet!) although the delivery times you're told when sending are a bit optimistic ;)

Mark - I've jus sold a couple of pieces to a collector in the States. we used a bank transfer as it's the safest way (IMO) as I think PayPal take a % for the payment (not sure on this). How big is the piece your sending? I always use Royal Mail International Signed-for (for just over £11 it's covered for £500 and you can always pay a bit more if you need more insurance) and never had any problems with them (yet!) although the delivery times you're told when sending are a bit optimistic ;)
thanks for that mate...the size is about A3, thinking of shipping without the frame...don't fancy the glass being smashed...thanks mark...

Without frame probably best as it's down to the weight more than the size tha'll dictate how much the postage will cost and they might not even like the frame its in anyway! I enclose my prints in cardboard, then bubble-wrap it, then another couple of bits of cardboard then put it all in a big bubble-filled envelope with 'PLEASE DO NOT BEND - ARTWORK INSIDE' written all over it in marker pen....! And get them to pay for postage of course ;)

Oh, forgot - if you do go by the money transfer route, when you send the various IBAN and BIC numbers needed, the IBAN needs to be 11 alphanumerical characters long - my bank only gave me 8!! That was fun, so just make sure as it saves alot of faffing around!

Last edited:
Agree with Ads' comments - just to reiterate; Royal Mail signed for has always worked brilliantly for me. PayPal will take between 3% and 5% of your transaction so that needs be taken into consideration. Bank transfer is preferable - you need to agree the exchange rate ;)
If your artwork is on paper - then rolling and tubing could be your safest way of posting. Alternatively - I could take it for you if you pay the travel ;)

I've used royal mail in the past and not had any problems. I've sent stuff to the US framed but unglazed as I reckoned that would be safest. I've always asked for a cheque in Sterling and, so far that's worked out OK although I'm not sure all banks offer the service?

Good luck with sorting it out and congrats on the sale!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back