• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best telephoto lens for Nikon D7000? (in 1100$ budget) (1 Viewer)

n1000

Hello.

I am looking for a best telephoto lens (400s and 500s) for Nikon F mount with AF. Maximum price is around 1100$. Images should be sharp and have good contrast/colors. Lens without scratches and fully working (in mint condition). Main using: birding and 'airplaning' :)

I was looking at forums, e-bay and I've found these lenses:

Nikon 300mm f/4
Sigma AF 400mm f5.6 APO macro
Nikon AF-S 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G
Tokina AF 300mm f/2.8 - 700$ for 2.8!!
Tokina SD 400 f/5.6 - probably a 'junk'
Yashma 300mm F2.8
Nikon AI-S ED 300mm F/2.8 - 900$ on ebay

What would You recommend to me from these lenses (or others)?
And how about Tokina 300mm f/2.8?

Thanks a lot for help ;)

Last edited:
Without a doubt a good 2nd hand Nikkor AFS 300mm f4.0
It works well with 1.4 TCs, and should also on new bodies also with a TC 2.0.

Thanks for help ;) It's a good choice: with x1.4 420mm f5.6

Do you know any other good prime lenses with 400mm/500mm?

@I've found Tokina AF 300mm f/2.8, it's cheap and bright (TC x1.4 420mm f/4)

Last edited:
Here's my two cents...

I use a mid-priced telephoto lens with a lot of glass. It's not fast but since the birds are usually stationary, it was a good balance between price & performance.

Don't go overboard & get equipment that may be overkill for an amateur birder.

Greg

There are several versions of the 300 f/4. Be sure to get the AFS version. The TC 14E II teleconverter works very well with this lens.

I'd go slow on the 2.0 teleconverter. There is a definite reduction in image quality with the TC 20E III. It is good for a 2X teleconverter, but I would only use it when you absolutely require the reach.

The D7000 only focuses at f/8 with the center AF sensor. I'm not sure of the layout of sensors that work with other apertures, but the D7100 has 50 AF points that AF to f/5.6 and only the center sensor to f/8. I expect the D7000 is similar. So if you use anything beyond the 1.4 teleconverter, be sure you adjust your technique accordingly. Note that you may still get AF to work with great light - its just not very reliable.

You have an 80-400 in your list. I think your budget only permits the older 80-400 which is not an AFS lens. Image quality is pretty good but still inferior to the 300 f/4, and AF is quite slow.

So the AFS 80-400mm version has inferior IQ than 300 f/4? Or only no AFS is inferior?

Usually prime lenses have better optics than zooms.

Last edited:
So the AFS 80-400mm version has inferior IQ than 300 f/4? Or only no AFS is inferior?

Usually prime lenses have better optics than zooms.

Sorry I was unclear. The 300 f/4 has tested better than the older non AFS version and the new AFS version of the 80-400. That's really to be expected - the 300 f/4 AFS is a very good prime lens and I would rate it better than the 200-400 as well.

I think if you need the flexibility of a zoom, there is no reason to avoid the new 80-400 AFS over a small drop in image quality. Sure the 300 f/4 is better, and faster - but the 80-400 zoom is an excellent lens that is about the same size and very good image quality.

I'm not familiar with the Yashima 300 f/2.8, but I would assume the Nikon 300 f/4 is as good or better.

The Nikon 300 f/4 is better than the 300 f/2.8 AI-S. Image quality is a little better but the 300 f/2.8 is good. The 300 f/4 is a much more recent design with ED coatings and a screwdriver AF mechanism. It should be faster to focus. The 300 f/2.8 uses drop in filters - I'm not sure of which type. The 300 f/4 is much closer focusing producing magnification of 1:3.7 vs. 1:6.4. And the 300 f/4 AFS will work with the current group of teleconverters - the TC14E II in particular.

If you need a really fast lens for sports or similar activities, the 300 f/2.8 might be worth exploring to see the AF speed difference. It was last manufactured in 1985.

And while weight may not be important, the 300 AIS weights about 15 pounds. :)

Well,

The Sigma 400 5.6 APO MACRO is/was a very good lens with a decent price tag. Its using the old style drive shaft AF. I used it on my D50 and D300 for some times as I owned it from the pre-digital days. Worth consideration!

Buying 2nd hand a lot depends on shape and condition of the individual lenses, something to consider when buying "blind" online.

Ulli

I'd rather to use 300 f2.8 for lower ISO and high shutter speed. Let's rule out the Nikon 300/2.8, because it's MF. Which is better: Tokina 300/2.8 or Nikon 300/4. Both AF but Tokina is brighter. I think that Tokina is the best from, Is it really worth it's prize?

Last edited:
I'd rather to use 300 f2.8 for lower ISO and high shutter speed. Let's rule out the Nikon 300/2.8, because it's MF. Which is better: Tokina 300/2.8 or Nikon 300/4. Both AF but Tokina is brighter. I think that Tokina is the best from, Is it really worth it's prize?

I absolutely love my Sigma 300mm 2.8! New it's >$3000, but other than the Tokina -that is long discontinued- it has a fast HSM AF.

$700 for a 300mm 2.8 could be a very good deal, but it also could turn out to be an expensive paperweight. It realy depends on the condition of the sample if the price makes it a steal, a good deal, or a waste of money. Same applies for all 2nd hand lenses that are bought without any kind of warranty and chance to test before making a decision. Did you use any old style crank sshaft AF lenses? They are signifcantly slower and noisier than even the basic current AF kit lenses.

Ulli

If you get the Nikon 300 f4 afs you will be very happy. If you want to see some images taken with it, take a look at my blog - all images are taken with this lens.

If you get the Nikon 300 f4 afs you will be very happy. If you want to see some images taken with it, take a look at my blog - all images are taken with this lens.

I'd rather to buy a brighter lens and have possibility to take better low light photos too. The same brand, Nikon 300mm but f/2.8 - is it better choice?

I agree Nikon 300 f4 afs with 1.4 tc - Size / weight does make a difference if you like to walk long distances carrying your camera. The 300 2.8 will be much heavier. You can walk with the 300 + 1.4 tc around your neck and respond quickly to in flight birds, it is also top notch quality. Your reaction will be much slower with a heavy 2.8 for in flight birds , aircraft etc and you will probably have to use it with a tripod as you will find it heavy to carry around your neck. I never use a tripod with my 300 f4 plus 1.4 tc.
The 2.8 will give you better low light possibilities but at the cost of weight.
The 2.8 might be better for more light if you use a tripod and don't walk far but I find the flexability of not using a tripod to good to miss out on.
A lot depends on what camera you use . I have the D7100 and the combo works a treat.
regards
vic

I agree Nikon 300 f4 afs with 1.4 tc - Size / weight does make a difference if you like to walk long distances carrying your camera. The 300 2.8 will be much heavier. You can walk with the 300 + 1.4 tc around your neck and respond quickly to in flight birds, it is also top notch quality. Your reaction will be much slower with a heavy 2.8 for in flight birds , aircraft etc and you will probably have to use it with a tripod as you will find it heavy to carry around your neck. I never use a tripod with my 300 f4 plus 1.4 tc.
The 2.8 will give you better low light possibilities but at the cost of weight.
The 2.8 might be better for more light if you use a tripod and don't walk far but I find the flexability of not using a tripod to good to miss out on.
A lot depends on what camera you use . I have the D7100 and the combo works a treat.
regards
vic

Agree. I love my D7000, 300mm f4 and 1.4tc ii combo. There are times where I wish I had that extra stop of light, but they are few and far between.

I have tried the 80-400 (previous version), 70-300, the bigma and the 300 2.8, but my choice is always the 300 f4. The 300 2.8 is a fine piece of glass but not practical for how I like to shoot (also the f4 version has better close focusing and I use it often for macro-style stuff).

95% of the Flickr photostream in my signature is taken with the 300m f4, and many with the 1.4 teleconverter attached.

Agree. I love my D7000, 300mm f4 and 1.4tc ii combo. There are times where I wish I had that extra stop of light, but they are few and far between.

I have tried the 80-400 (previous version), 70-300, the bigma and the 300 2.8, but my choice is always the 300 f4. The 300 2.8 is a fine piece of glass but not practical for how I like to shoot (also the f4 version has better close focusing and I use it often for macro-style stuff).

95% of the Flickr photostream in my signature is taken with the 300m f4, and many with the 1.4 teleconverter attached.

Do You crop these images? Or it's original with smaller size?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back