• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular XxX discrepancy ? (1 Viewer)

deluxe

So, I introduced myself a couple of days ago, but this is my first "real" post.
I recently purchased two pairs of binoculars, cheap, or should I say inexpensively: Bushnell Banner Extra wide, 7x35, 578 ft at 1000yds, and a pair of Hans Weiss which are clearly engraved (twice!!) as 8x40. There are zero other markings on the Weiss's, no serial numbers, nothing.........and I'd be very happy if someone might fill in a little of the history of the brand.
Anyway, I was somewhat perplexed that the objective lenses on the Bushnell 7x35's are considerably larger in actual diameter than the objectives on the Weiss's at 8x40. I measure the Bushnell's (as expected) at 35mm, whereas the Weiss's are 31mm. Exactly the opposite from what I'd expect.
So, I read up online about how to determine the actual objective diameter by shining a concentrated light down the ocular, and measuring the light circle coming out of the objective.......and I get 27mm for the Weiss, and 34mm for the Bushnell, confirming the original measurements, at least in their relative size ratio to each other.
So, could it be that the Weiss are "incorrectly" engraved on the housings, twice, or is something unknown to me going on, and both bino's are correctly marked? Overall, too, the Weiss are a far smaller and lighter binocular than the Bushnell.

Having said all this, I am not too concerned about the pure measurements. When I look through both I am very pleased with the view, especially/paradoxically the Weiss, which is quite a phenomenal view: clear, seemingly free of aberation, great stereo effect, even a fairly close focus (around 6 to 7 yards, I estimate). The Weiss is also a little better in low-light. So, I don't want to play a "numbers game", but the discrepancies are puzzling. Any explanations anyone?
I appreciate your knowledge and input in advance.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    242 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
. Dear deluxe,
. It would seem to me that Hans Weiss is a made up name, as are many others, and the binocular might actually be Japanese? Does it say anything on the binocular and are there any stickers?

Could we see a photograph of the back of both binoculars.
Which binocular has the highest actual magnification?
If the eight times is accurate, then it would be 8×27, which explains the good performance, as the stopped down aperture will definitely improve performance in medium or low light levels.

It is not unusual for binoculars to have markings on them, which are slightly, moderately or enormously different from the actual specifications of the binocular.
There are also many fake binoculars.
The only thing to consider is whether you actually like using the binoculars are not, not what is written on them.

Hans Weiss was a world war I German flying ace, died 1918. His name has been adapted for fake binos of unknown origin. Most of them appear on eBay.

Last edited:
. Dear deluxe,
. It would seem to me that Hans Weiss is a made up name, as are many others, and the binocular might actually be Japanese? Does it say anything on the binocular and are there any stickers?

Could we see a photograph of the back of both binoculars.
Which binocular has the highest actual magnification?
If the eight times is accurate, then it would be 8×27, which explains the good performance, as the stopped down aperture will definitely improve performance in medium or low light levels.

It is not unusual for binoculars to have markings on them, which are slightly, moderately or enormously different from the actual specifications of the binocular.
There are also many fake binoculars.
The only thing to consider is whether you actually like using the binoculars are not, not what is written on them.

There are no other marks on the Weiss than 8x40.
I'll take more/better pics in the daylight AM tomorrow.
Agree about enjoying the bino's and not dwelling on the numbers. I just want to solve the puzzle and hoped others might have answers.

Extra photo's

As promised, here are 4 more photo's of the Weiss and Bushnell bino's.

As you see, the Weiss are very unadorned with markings, just the name, and 8x40 a couple of times.
As to actual magnification with the bino's: it's hard to tell. When I compare the image of a electrical switch plate at the other end of the room repeatedly, switching from one to the other, I can't determine a consistent difference. They are close, that's all I can say for now.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzpkqQqSE9C7SW1jamlSNkYyTDA&usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzpkqQqSE9C7NU1WVzRleWtQWDExOXhmQWp2ejhMUUdrRlo4&authuser=0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzpkqQqSE9C7ZFk5VDNLMi01emd2TVlvMi1tWXdSWU5IdDJr&authuser=0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzpkqQqSE9C7NVJHNWthNTF5Snc1NTBmRTRtS2Myd1JzbFFj&authuser=0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzpkqQqSE9C7U1hfbzBERExWRFBsME90T3NvR25xUl80ejd3&authuser=0

. Thanks for the photos deluxe.

Are there any faint engravings on the bottom of the body near the hinges, which would indicate a Japanese maker?
Otherwise I don't know how one would tell where they were made.

Personally, I would prefer the Bushnell extra wide-angle binocular.

Hard to tell but it looks like it was meant to be an 8x30. Can you compare the size of the Exit Pupils in the oculars side by side with the 7x35 Bushnell? If they are smaller it is probably 8x. If they are bigger it may be 6x which would explain it being better in low light.

Hard to tell but it looks like it was meant to be an 8x30. Can you compare the size of the Exit Pupils in the oculars side by side with the 7x35 Bushnell? If they are smaller it is probably 8x. If they are bigger it may be 6x which would explain it being better in low light.

The exit pupils on the Weiss are approximately 50% the diameter (Weiss 50....Bushnell 100).
When holding both up to the light, and looking at the bright circles in the ocular lenses.......correct method?

The exit pupils on the Weiss are approximately 50% the diameter (Weiss 50....Bushnell 100)
When holding both up to the light, and looking at the bright circles in the ocular lenses.......correct method?

Yes, that is essentially correct and informative but it is an estimate. They wouldn't be hard to measure with a millimeter rule. If they are 50% the size of the EPs in the 7x35 which has 5.0mm Exit Pupils (7x divided into 35) then it looks like the Weiss could be a 10x25 binocular (2.5mm exit pupils) which would "technically" put it into the class of compact binoculars. We aren't certain about the width of the objective lenses. Do things look bigger in the Weiss binocular than in the Bushnell? At 10x they should look bigger.

If it were an 8x25 the exit pupil would be 3.1 and there are 8x28 binoculars which would have EPs of 3.5mm.

Bob

Last edited:
Yes, that is essentially correct and informative but it is an estimate. They wouldn't be hard to measure with a millimeter rule. If they are 50% the size of the EPs in the 7x35 which has 5.0mm Exit Pupils (7x divided into 35) then it looks like the Weiss could be a 10x25 binocular (2.5mm exit pupils) which would "technically" put it into the class of compact binoculars. We aren't certain about the width of the objective lenses. Do things look bigger in the Weiss binocular than in the Bushnell? At 10x they should look bigger.

If it were an 8x25 the exit pupil would be 3.1 and there are 8x28 binoculars which would have EPs of 3.5mm.

Bob

I guess my eye's/brain were fooled by the area of the exit pupil, rather than the diameter. It turns out that the diameter's are much closer in size than my previous estimate.
As close as I can measure, using a MM rule:
Weiss=3.5mm
Bushnell=4.8mm

So, if I am assuming correctly, and my measurements are taken reasonably accurately, I calculate the magnification power of the Weiss at 27/3.5= 7.71. The Weiss turns out to be an 8 power bino, but it seems they "cheated" by only having a 27mm objective, rather than the stated 40mm.
The Bushnell (close enough for Government work) is 34/4.8........so about 7 power.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back