• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

This is the first of a five part personal venture which I am undertaking this spring to bird the whole of Boudica's Way between Diss and Norwich. Weather providing, I hope to complete the whole walk within the next seven days. I should say that this is not a quest to find some kind of rarity on my travels - it is just something local that I've wanted to achieve over the last couple of years and I will be happy if I get species like Grey Wagtail, Garden Warbler, Turtle Dove and Hobby. I would like to share it with all you nice people on here and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I will enjoy writing.

Great stuff, really enjoyed your account Stratton Birder. I have been thinking of doing something similar in the South Yare Valley this Summer, and this kind of account is just the inspiration I need.

Cheers,
Jim.

The Point

I wouldn't worry about the weather not being "productive" in May, as the first few days of June offer better chances of finding the "biggie" than much of May. Friday does indeed look excellent for an arrival (more or less directly onto the N Norfolk coast) and the Point would be an ideal location.
I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here, but I recommend the excellent "Birds of Blakeney Point" by S. Joyner and A. Stoddart, as not only does it give past records, but also invaluable information for planning a day on the point in relation to seasonality and weather patterns. It is such a fantastic site, and I have worked it many times over the last 5 years, often with just a handful of other birders present, even in prime conditions. A few tips (again I'm sure most are aware) are to wait a bit longer (I usually set off around 10am) in order for the birds to drift west along the point, or to head out mid to late afternoon, as I have seen at least 4 sizable falls which have taken place an hour or so before dusk. Also, again very obvious, waiting for a band of rain to move across (W-E is generally good) can increase numbers of migrants.

Enjoy it chaps, I'll see you there in late August. I'd be there this weekend if I wasn't spending all my money on travelling around the neotropics!

P.S. if you see James McCallum heading out along the shingle, thats usually a good sign there will be a fall, just say hello from me!

Three Turtle Doves at Holme NWT this morning, sadly no sign of Red-backed Shrike and according to another birder two more Turtle Doves at Choseley Barns!:t:

Penny:girl:

The turtle doves at Choseley barns have been there a while, I saw them during the last bank holiday so at least three weeks ago.

Btw Penny I walked Ringstead Chalk Downs for the first time and didn't see much but the walk was fantastic, thanks for suggesting it.

I'm down Heacham this bank holiday so hopefully something a little rarer might turn up.

P.S. if you see James McCallum heading out along the shingle, thats usually a good sign there will be a fall, just say hello from me!

For those who may not know what James McC looks like, just use your basic ID skills to home in on the brightest barnet in birding, visible at 300 metres in dense fog!
MJB

For those who may not know what James McC looks like, just use your basic ID skills to home in on the brightest barnet in birding, visible at 300 metres in dense fog!
MJB

:-O Usually my first find of the day on the point... One day Penny, though I swear he must emit some rare-attracting pheromones. Usually best to follow in the wake of rare and scarce hoping for scraps! In all seriousness though, one of the nicest gents on the scene, and probably the best birder I know and have had the pleasure of birding with.

Birding Boudica's Way Part Two. Tivetshall St Mary - Stratton St Michael.

I wasn't too sure about doing the second part of my walk today as the weather looked a bit grim and the forecast wasn't very inspiring either. However, I want to try and get this done before going back to work next week so when a break in the clouds let a nice gleam of sunshine through I decided to go for it. In the time it took to get ready, the clouds came over again and it was raining heavily. I had already commited myself to it now and drove out to the next starting point regardless. Thankfully it had stopped raining by the time I got out of the car and was sunny again but I headed off with the knowledge that I would probably get at least one good soaking.

A Lesser Whitethroat kicked the day off and as I left the A140 behind I was surrounded by several displaying Skylarks. Thankfully, I did much better with this species today and recorded 20 songsters compared with only five yesterday.
A new mammal for the walk was added when I flushed a Roe Deer from out of the hedgerow and approaching Pulham Market Hall, I got the first Bullfinch when a calling male flew over. Five more were to come by the time I finished today including at least one more male.
Not far on from here and a very mature oak got me thinking about Little Owl and I scanned the branches on the off-chance. I was just about to walk away unsuccessfully but decided on one last scan and a small, greyish, owl-shaped blob just caught my attention through the bins and sure enough, there it was, right in front of the trunk about six feet up and amazingly well camouflaged in the strong light. It sat there looking at me with those mesmerising cats eyes and I regretted that I hadn't brought my recently purchased new camera with me as it would have made a lovely picture. I will have to return another time.
A small pond and a Moorhens nest situated on the edge discretely placed under some overhanging brambles. It had five dappled eggs in it. Still on the nesting theme and a pair of Blue Tits were nesting under the eaves at Pulham Market church and one was regularly going to and fro with food. At this point the church clock struck nine telling me I'd managed to get through the first hour without a soaking. The village was alive with House Sparrows and Starlings and its nice to know that both these species are holding their own in some villages still.

Leaving Pulham Market behind and things went a little quiet and the sky was beginning to look more threatening by the minute. I made it to a small copse for shelter just before a real sharp shower came down and had to wait several minutes before I could resume. Despite some nice habitat which I walked through here, it remained rather quiet although I did see a Muntjac.
I entered and spent some time in Tyrrel's Wood in the hope of a Nuthatch but unfortunately, none were encountered although Treecreeper and Great Spotted Woodpecker were and each was added to the list. A Willow Warbler sang, which is a sound I've never heard in here before but generally the wood was quiet. Had I had started my walk here and at the crack of dawn I think it would be a different matter.

Insect highlight of the day and perhaps the year occured on the other side of the wood near Wood Green when I came across a beautiful male Hairy Dragonfly perched low down on a leaf. Without doubt the closest most prolonged view I have ever had of one and also a patch tick. Yet again I longed for my left at home camera. When the sun came out it began vibrating its wings to warm itself up and when it felt sufficiently ready it took to flight, flew ten feet into the air.....and was clobbered by a Swift!! The poor thing. Of all the thousands of dragonflies I've seen why did it have to happen to this one? Still - I have to admire the speed and agility of the Swift.

The weather deteriorated rapidly during the last two miles - I was getting cold and wet and my main thought was shelter at Stratton St Michael church at the end but at least I managed to get a few good moments in before this and I was pleased that I made the effort.

The most regularly recorded singing bird again was Chaffinch (49) followed by Robin (38) Blackbird (33) and Wren (22). Great Tit and Dunnock were much reduced compared to yesterday but Blackcap and Chiffchaff were up, 19 and 12 respectively. Whitethroats were around about the same with nine, but compared with how many I recorded a few years ago (sometimes 20+)while carrying out surveys for the Norfolk Bird Atlas, I don't think they are as common as they were - not in this area anyway.

New species - Little Owl, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Willow Warbler, Goldcrest, Coal Tit, Treecreeper, Bullfinch.

Other new wildlife - Roe Deer, Muntjac, Hairy Dragonfly, Speckled Wood, Small White.

Last edited:
Driving along the Acle straight towards Yarmouth at 1.15 today I had a slim brown harrier with a white rump lift up and glide along the dyke. It glided with the wings held in a pronounced V, not the flat angle of a Hen Harrier, but definately had a white rump (albeit rather fuzzy around the edges - not the sharp demarcation of a Hen.)
This was about a mile and a half before the Vauxhall caravan park and on that side of the road. Monty?

Spent all day at Cley – Wood Sandpiper, Curlew Sandpiper. No sign of the Red-backed Shrike. Ferocious north west winds, rain and sun - typical May day really!!;) Only picture I got was of this beautiful Swallow sheltering from the winds at Coastguards.

I also saw a Harrier sp. yesterday at Choseley Barns - pics are currently being analysed, but they are here if anyone wants to look
Full update on blog.

Attachments

• IMG_9255 crop.jpg
    IMG_9255 crop.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 70
:-O Usually my first find of the day on the point... One day Penny, though I swear he must emit some rare-attracting pheromones. Usually best to follow in the wake of rare and scarce hoping for scraps! In all seriousness though, one of the nicest gents on the scene, and probably the best birder I know and have had the pleasure of birding with.
Perhaps its the red hair they are attracted to;););). Totally agree, one of the nicest people you could meet:t:

The turtle doves at Choseley barns have been there a while, I saw them during the last bank holiday so at least three weeks ago.

Btw Penny I walked Ringstead Chalk Downs for the first time and didn't see much but the walk was fantastic, thanks for suggesting it.

I'm down Heacham this bank holiday so hopefully something a little rarer might turn up.

Hi!

Thanks for update on Turtle Doves - great news:t:

Glad you enjoyed Ringstead Downs - it is indeed a fabulous walk - I fancy a Wallcreeper on the cliff face - one day......;)

Hopefully you have picked an excellent weekend for 'rares'. It's often the next day after a fall when something good is found eg. Saturday. I just hope everyone gets out in the field instead of waiting for the pager. If we all do that, the pager will be on fire – that's what I am hoping for anyway!:t:

The Swan never lifted its neck,
To have e’en a peek at the Pec.
It emitted no whine,
By the wet Serpentine,
Nor yet a careworn “wot the ‘eck?”.

This was the other side of the Serpentine and a good spot from the chap who located it, when a group of us arrived and were casting about Peclessly.

The Wood Sandpiper was a lot closer (to the Cley East Bank) and provided an unusual shot of its open wings.

Attachments

• 015pse.jpg
    015pse.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 112pse.jpg
    112pse.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 186
From yesterdays Guardian:

Government licensed secret buzzard egg destruction

Eggs and nests of protected raptors destroyed to protect pheasant shoot

A government agency has licensed the secret destruction of the eggs and nests of buzzards to protect a pheasant shoot, according to documents released under the Freedom of Information Act.

The action sets a historic precedent, being the first time such action has been licensed against any bird of prey to protect game shoots since raptors gained legal protection decades ago. Buzzards are recovering from near extinction and now number 40,000 breeding pairs, while 35m pheasants are bred each year for shoots.

It is also less than a year after the wildlife minister, Richard Benyon, abandoned related plans citing "public concerns". Benyon, whose family estate in Berkshire runs shoots, cancelled plans to spend £375,000 on testing control measures for buzzards around pheasant shoots after a public outcry in May 2012. "I will collaborate with all the organisations that have an interest in this issue and will bring forward new proposals," he said at the time.

The destruction of the nests, which took place in the last few weeks, was only revealed after the event through a freedom of information request by the RSPB.

"We were proceeding collaboratively and that is why we are so angry now," said Martin Harper, the RSPB's conservation director. "Most people would prefer to see buzzards soaring in the sky. They are big, majestic creatures in the wild and we don't have many of them in the UK: they are England's eagle. The fact the licence process takes place without public scrutiny is wrong."

The licences were issued by the government's licensing body, Natural England (NE) and permitted destruction of up to four nests and the eggs they held. "The law allows action to be taken against protected species to protect livestock, which includes any animal kept for the provision or improvement of shooting," said a spokesman for NE. "We rigorously assessed the application [and] were satisfied the case met the criteria."

The locations of the destroyed nests were not made public. NE stated the issue was "emotive and sensitive" and cited "public safety". NE issued the licences despite its own expert reviewer stating: "There is no body of published evidence demonstrating that the presence of buzzards is likely to result in serious damage to a game shoot." A related application to kill sparrowhawks was rejected.

The National Gamekeepers Organisation (NGO) was closely involved in winning the licences and had threatened NE with judicial review if they were not granted. "We believe the long-standing licensing process was correctly used in this case," said a spokesman. "A few buzzards had been consistently killing a large number of pheasants. Most birds of prey are now at or near record levels in the UK, so conflicts with game management and farming are bound to occur from time to time."

Pheasants are not native to the UK and were introduced to stock shoots, but the biomass of the population makes it now the single biggest bird species in the countryside. The growing popularity of shoots in the Victorian era saw buzzards poisoned, shot and trapped until just 1,000 pairs were left, but protection in recent decades has led to a partial recovery.

Jeff Knott, the RSPB's bird of prey expert, said: "The buzzard has full legal protection, so why are we undermining this when all the available evidence shows they are not a significant source of loss of pheasant chicks." An independent study commissioned by the British Association for Shooting and Conservation found that, on average, 1-2% of pheasant poults released were taken by all birds of prey, Knott said, adding that a third of all pheasants are killed on the roads. The NGO spokesman said the buzzard control project was cancelled last year after the RSPB's campaign would have provided evidence of predation: "They can't have it both ways."

A spokeswoman for the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, said: "After a thorough assessment, Natural England granted a licence for the removal of a small number of buzzard nests. Buzzard populations are thriving in the UK and this licensed action had no effect on their population."

Labour's environment secretary, Mary Creagh, said buzzards had recovered under the previous government: "This latest revelation blasts a hole in ministers' empty words about protecting Britain's iconic native species. It is astounding the government has granted licences after ministers were forced to U-turn last year." She also criticised Benyon: "Who exactly do ministers think they are there to serve? "

A key criterion for the granting of the licences was that all non-lethal control methods, such as creating places for pheasants to hide and diverting buzzards away by leaving food out, had been unsuccessfully tried. But the NE expert who reviewed the application reported: "Overall, there is a pattern of [non-lethal] methods being employed inconsistently." The reviewer also noted that "the efficacy of [nest and egg destruction] is untested

We were walking along the Buckenham road at Strumpshaw on Sunday, beside the railway track, when we heard a train coming which sounded different to the others. I had just remarked that it almost sounded like a steam train when this beauty appeared. I grabbed my camera and managed to get some of it in the frame with my birding lens before it disappeared.

Apparently the 'Galatea' is a newly restored Jubilee class locomotive and was on private charter. Why did we both spontaneously feel compelled to wave? Too many viewings of 'The Railway Children' in the past perhaps.

Now back to birds ...

Ron

Attachments

• Galatea-small.jpg
    Galatea-small.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Blakeney Point

It was more of a social day down the 'Point' today, I saw more birders than birds!!! Rain, wind and cold and little for all the hard work. A handful of wheatears were the highlight and was gripped off with a Snow Goose;). I did however see the Red-backed Shrike at Cley this morning before setting off for the Point. Looked for the Pectoral Sandpiper tonight at 8.30pm but no sign on The Serpentine. Nice to see BF Kieren and lady friend (forgot her name again sorry, was it Leyla?) Ben Lewis and Connor etc!

Full update on blog.

Wow, that brings back memories. I was first a fireman then a driver at Saltley, in Birmingham in the early 60's and the Jube's were a great engine to both fire and drive. Perhaps not as good as the Black 5's but still usually an enjoyable time on them.

John

We were walking along the Buckenham road at Strumpshaw on Sunday, beside the railway track, when we heard a train coming which sounded different to the others. I had just remarked that it almost sounded like a steam train when this beauty appeared. I grabbed my camera and managed to get some of it in the frame with my birding lens before it disappeared.

Apparently the 'Galatea' is a newly restored Jubilee class locomotive and was on private charter. Why did we both spontaneously feel compelled to wave? Too many viewings of 'The Railway Children' in the past perhaps.

Now back to birds ...

Ron

Wow, that brings back memories. I was first a fireman then a driver at Saltley, in Birmingham in the early 60's and the Jube's were a great engine to both fire and drive. Perhaps not as good as the Black 5's but still usually an enjoyable time on them.

John
Hi John. At the risk of going terribly off topic for the Norfolk birding thread, take a look at this video. It brought a lump to my throat and I am not even really a steam train enthusiast.

Ron

Thanks for that Ron. It was brilliant. One thing I can say watching that video is that there was a very good fireman on board. No black smoke at any time, even when it was under pressure going up a gradient. Like when I was a fireman I adopted the little and often policy of firing the engine.

I can honestly say that was one job in my life that I do miss.

Sorry folks back to birding.

John

Hi John. At the risk of going terribly off topic for the Norfolk birding thread, take a look at this video. It brought a lump to my throat and I am not even really a steam train enthusiast.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back