• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Thanks everyone - I am finding some of these weather forecast websites very helpful.
At Bates Wood today with Trevor we only caught five Blackbirds! It was just too windy. Several Siskins flying over but the undoubted highlight was a Waxwing which called a few times but unfortunately we never saw it...

If anyone is interested the "official" Bates Wood ringing is on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th February between 9:00am and 12 noon. PM me if you want more details...

Cheers
Sim

A good day out today (apologies for overlap into Cambs and Suffolk). Great-grey Shrike, 2 adult Caspian Gulls and 2+ Yellow-legged Gulls at Lakenheath although no sign of the Penduline Tit, then 2 Great White Egrets at Pymoor, Rough-legged Buzzard at Coveney and 8 Corn Buntings and 72 Bewick's Swans at Welney, although no sign of the dark-breasted Barn Owl. Pics of one of the Caspos, one of the Yellow-leggeds and one of the egrets on my blog.

Thanks very much for the lift and the excellent company Penny!

Last edited:
FANTASTIC DAY'S LUCKY;) BIRDING!!!

First of all we did not see the hoped for Penduline Tit and neither did anyone else!!

Left King's Lynn at 7.15am with Connor and arrived RSPB Lakenheath at 8am (Pete S. and Richard meeting us half an hour later).

Lovely sunny, crisp;) morning. 4 Lesser Redpolls in alders by visitor centre and on route to furthest end of reserve Great Spotted Woodpecker, 50 redwings, a fantastic flock of 80+ goldfinches, 1 bearded tit heard, 2 marsh harriers, 1 common buzzard on post, 2 grey herons, 2 little egrets, 2 kestrels, 1 meadow pipit. No sign of the penduline tit sadly, every bull rush head was viewed several times over!!! Bumped into BF Pete Doulton too (nice to see you) and also BF Gordon Hamlet. Pete and Richard then joined us for day and after much banter etc etc we decided to move to other end of reserve (Richard saw a kingfisher) to look at the gull roost from the viewing point near the visitor centre (Hockwold Flash) where I saw 1 adult caspian gull and a yellow legged gull amongst all the black headed gulls, lesser black backed gulls and great black backed gulls etc along with 1 pintail and a pair of shoveler etc etc. There were 2 adult caspian gulls and 1 immature seen by other birders (100% if anyone questions this as two of the birders are on the Norfolk & Suffolk rarities committees respectively;)). Also saw the Great Grey Shrike in the distance in a bush over near the 'flash'. Saw another 6 lesser redpolls (10 in all now) in alders next to carpark. A couple of birders informed us they had been watching the cranes (where we had been standing earlier!)

After a cup of tea and sandwiches we decided to go to Pymoor main drain and the second we got out of the car had stunning views of a Great White Egret!!! (1.35pm)along with a pied wagtail, 2 green sandpipers, 2 stonechats and 1 little egret - shortly after Richard shouted 'there's the second one' and on the opposite side of the drain was the 2nd Great White Egret;):t: WOW!!! I don't expect to be standing on too many bridges watching a Great White Egret on either side of me!!! ;)

Moved onto Coveney and the second we got out of the car had stunning views of the Rough Legged Buzzard (2.25pm) gliding over the fields and under Ely Cathedral in the sunshine, and high on the hill over the village - we moved cars up the hill and parked on verge near the village where we had first class views and watched it being mobbed by a couple of carrion crows and also at one point landed for a while.

Left here and went to Welney (on route Pete and Richard had a brambling and we all saw masses of fieldfares) to watch loads of finches at the bird table including 8 corn buntings on bushes around and by the feeders, reed buntings, chaffinches, goldfinches, 1 robin, great tit, blue tit and 3 blackbirds. Watched 2 bewicks swans from the hide. Richard treated us to a hot drink - thank you:t: Also saw lots of Whooper Swans on route. Moved onto the roads near Welney, 2 stock doves on route, 2 kestrels, to watch 70+ Bewicks feeding in fields adjacent to several mute swans. Finished up with trying to see the Dark Breasted Barn Owl but with no luck.

Brilliant day out with excellent company - thank you everyone:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Pomskua,

tried to PM you but couldn't get through. Think you have my mob number and my email address is on my website - please get in touch asap.

C

Sounds like everyone was at Lakenheath yesterday, myself included.
Saw one Caspian Gull I was happy with, GG Shrike distantly from the carpark.
Had a search for the Penduline. Following the railway track and taking the first available right turn, I came across a blue tit making a racket in the reeds, clearly angry at the presence of a small brown bird acting like a mouse in the reeds. I saw it in flight briefly, defo not a Beardie or Wren, so I struggle to think what else it may have been. Didnt get anthing on its face or chest in terms of colour or markings. Very elusive, couldnt pin it down. Very frustrating! Did I have the Penduline? I dont know, would be interested to hear anyone's comments, particularly if they have experience with the species.
Cheers,
Jim.

Dereham Birds.

Hi.

Does anyone have any info on Little Egret and OTHER birds seen in the waterworks area of Dereham yesterday?? If anyone can help or PM me, I would very much appreciate it.

Ta.
Fox.B :)

Did not work today, so lovely to have a whole weekend of birding!;)

Started off at Hunstanton Cliffs at 10.30am where P. and I had 34+ Common Scooters and 2 Velvet Scooters flew west, fulmars on the cliffs and not many people on the beach!!!! Snow then furiously started to sweep across the sea!

Next stop Titchwell RSPB - 12.30pm had a fantastic time taking sweet;) robin snow scenes in the carpark. Lots of greenfinches, goldfinches, house sparrows and blue/great tits on the feeders. Very atmospheric around the Fen Trail with bullrushes and reeds sprinkled with snow - a stunning Peregrine sat perched on the dead trees from Fen Hide. A Water Rail was in the ditch close to the main path near feeders. Lunch in the 'Feeding Station' consisted of vege pastyi and cheese & onion toastie - lovely;)

Stopped off at Brancaster Staithe Harbour where black headed gulls stood motionless on the slipway battling the wind and snow. Turnstones scrurried round the tide line along with oystercatchers feeding around the fishing boats. A few pied wagtails flitted about in the snow.

Between Wells and Holkham on beet fields thousands of Brent Geese were feeding - never seen this many! and then passing Holkham thousands of pinkfeets came into view over the snowy fields.

Cley Beach Carpark - searched fruitlessly for the Glaucous gull - ferociously cold here!!! Got some cracking pictures of turnstones on snow covered shingle by the brick shelter. Walked (struggled!) to pill box but no sign of g. gull. A birder had just come back from North Scrape and no sign there either, so moved onto Salthouse where there were 30+ Snowbuntings on the high shingle bank, but no sign of Glaucous gull here either. Moved onto Weybourne beach carpark and again no sign of Glaucous gull - ok time to give up! 10 Pied Wagtails were feeding around the carpark.

Chips at Wells on way back!

A very slow drive home in snowy conditions.

Best Wishes
Penny:girl:

P.S. Someone had seen the Glaucous Gull on North Scrape late afternoon!:-C

Last edited:
I see from the Punks site that a redhead Smew was at Whitlingham CP today. Maybe I'll be leaving for work a bit earlier...

And what's the full story with the 2 Dippers anyone?

James

Not sure I can manage the full story but I did overhear a conversation at Natural Surroundings on Saturday, and apparently someone had seen 2 Dippers there on the weirs on the Friday.

I can't even manage to find one!

Irene

My thoughts entirely Irene.:t: I did search the Thornage Bridge area on Saturday morning but gave up as it was bitterly cold. Everytime I go to natural surroundings there is no sign of it. I guess it makes sense that there may be two given the territory it appears to be covering - although must admit I am not familiar with Dipper behaviour|:$|but maybe it is hanging around cos its found a mate;)

I did search the Thornage Bridge area on Saturday morning but gave up as it was bitterly cold. Everytime I go to natural surroundings there is no sign of it. I guess it makes sense that there may be two given the territory it appears to be covering - although must admit I am not familiar with Dipper behaviour|:$|but maybe it is hanging around cos its found a mate;)

You'd think the little blighter would 'do the decent thing' and start singing! I think they can have a fairly largish territory in the winter when food is harder to find but I'm not sure if the continental birds behave in the same way ours do??

I spent Saturday and part of Sunday doing my usual dipping trick. I can only comfort myself with the fact that I shall be on Mull in a couple of weeks time, with a Dipper territory right outside the cottage door .... just not a black-bellied one! Which I guess makes me completely barmy to be doing the chasing around I am for this bird - my only excuse being I love Dippers and have never seen a black-bellied.

Irene

Falcon ID

Titchwell Today nice views of water pipit a couple of feet from parrender hide. Lots of Golden eye on sea with a goosander. One distant duck poss a scoter but too far for me to ID. The highlight though was over the brackish marsh and heralded by clouds of lapwings and gulls, a falcon about the same size as the lapwing it was hunting, scythe shaped wings looked reddish under parts and slate grey back. It was locked in classic falcon hunt doing several steep rises and then plunging out of sun at the lapwing before it gave up and flew off. A gripping life and death struggle but I don't know what it was any ideas?

Proably a Male Merlin.

Signs that the "freeze" conditions might be bringing a bit of stuff in today, with a redhead smew & a bittern on the patch (Nunnery Reserve). Bittern's been there for a few days at least though.

BTW the Black Lark arrived after about a week of screaming easterlies straight from the steppes of Asia. Not the best week to go birding in Cornwall (although I did find a Purple Heron)...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back