• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (45 Viewers)

Are these birds being seen throughout the day or just on odd occasions. I am tempted to pop over for a look but won't have as much time as I would like.

Hi Peter,

I see them pretty much every time I walk down the road and I have never had to wait too long. Presume they are easy throughout the day, although only a single bird on the pager for today...

Black-bellied Dipper Thetford

After vanishing for a few days the BB Dipper returned to it's favoured area just upstream of the bridge at Thetford. Present most of the afternoon but did go missing a couple of times when it flew off downstream and out of sight. A (very) poor record shot attached taken in rubbish light as it sat on the large beech tree overhanging the water just above the bridge.

Mick

Attachments

• DSCF3920.JPG
    DSCF3920.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 244
After vanishing for a few days the BB Dipper returned to it's favoured area just upstream of the bridge at Thetford. Present most of the afternoon but did go missing a couple of times when it flew off downstream and out of sight. A (very) poor record shot attached taken in rubbish light as it sat on the large beech tree overhanging the water just above the bridge.

Mick

Thanks for posting Nick, I'll pop down after school tomorrow afternoon.
Cheers,
Jim.

Managed to get the BB Dipper today in a 15 minute gap between meetings. Initially not around, it flew under me as I stood on the bridge! I find this sub-species far more obliging than the "normal" ones and it seemed totally unconcerned by my presence |=)|

Chris

Good afternoon,

Lots of Bramblings feeding amongst Corn Buntings, Yellowhammers and Reed Bunting on the Wild Bird Mix areas at Chosely Barns recently.

Farmland birds are half the number they used to be and enough is enough but yet doing the sort of works that these guys are doing is under massive threat this week meaning an end to such schemes. Cameron is off to Brussels to negotiate on the CAP budget.

This isnt about more money but its about transfering the money from the wasteful areas of the CAP to the bit (agri-environment schemes) that deliver real public benefits like more Birds!

If you care, and you should because our countryside will be devoid of life, then please please sign this http://www.rspb.org.uk/steppingup/ it takes less than a minute!

trilliant

Rupert Street waxwings Norwich

Early lunch and four flew over me at 1150 and settled in small tree at Rupert Street / York Street junction. Hadn't moved when I left at noon.

On mid afternoon break three groups of 8, 7 and 5 or 20 in all. Mobile in small area along Rupert Street between Cambridge Street and the top of the hill on Rupert Street.

Calling all the time.
All in the same tree on a couple of occastions.

Black-bellied Dipper showing ridiculously well again this afternoon, absolutely gutted I forgot to take my camera! It was spending most of it's time just under the old bridge. Hopefully it will still be showing Monday and I'll remember to take my camera!

Chris

Waxwings -
For any one keen on getting up close to these cracking birds there showing really well( as they have all week) this morning on Cambridge street in Norwich between 8-8.50 am.so close little George was able to view them from the comfort of his warm/ dry buggy;-)
coming down to feed on the berries and then back up onto the tv Ariels . There were 16 in total and looking rather wet when I left them!

Happy birding
Shaky

Waxwings -
For any one keen on getting up close to these cracking birds there showing really well( as they have all week) this morning on Cambridge street in Norwich between 8-8.50 am.so close little George was able to view them from the comfort of his warm/ dry buggy;-)
coming down to feed on the berries and then back up onto the tv Ariels . There were 16 in total and looking rather wet when I left them!

Happy birding
Shaky

They're actually quite hard to pin down, some of you have been very lucky, i saw them about a week ago and have been five times since and they have eluded... though yes they did show well when theyre there

Am getting a bit confused by the pager messages re Dicks Pipit ; are there two birds west of Sheringham - one 1/4m west on golf course and another 1.5m west in field near the surf scotet? Cheers

A cracking spectacle occurred at snettisham this morning, with 50,000+ Knot and c20,000 Pink-footed Geese coming off the wash in vast flocks. I thought that was all the excitement for the day, how wrong could I be ! I only made it home for 10 minutes, before there was more action.

Sheringham/weybourne produced the goods with good telescope views of the Surf scoter, see record shot attached and expert digi-scope shot by will!
Then news of a Richard's Pipit on the golf course almost had us walking further east, but then low and behold a second bird flew past us and settled down in the cliff top fields.

Then the crowning glory, news of a Rose coloured starling just identified in North Repps, off again and the bird showed very well.
Don't you just love days like that

Attachments

• IMG_3835aa.jpg
    IMG_3835aa.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_3818a.jpg
    IMG_3818a.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_3825.JPG
    IMG_3825.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Another pic of the Northrepps Rose-coloured Starling attached.

A big thank you must go to the householders whose garden it frequently visits for sharing this superb bird with us all.

Simon

Attachments

• RCS1.jpg
    RCS1.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 193
A holy satisfying day, as my spirits aRose

The message ‘about a duck’ arrived in timely fashion, as I was getting ready to go out. Instead of heading west in the car, I walked west, along the coast path. With the wind in my face and frequent driving rain, it wasn’t, at first, all that pleasant. However, a half hour later and a small flock of scoter was visible through the murk. A poor photo was the result.

An offer of a lift from much nearer the site than where my car was parked was accepted then, on reflection, declined- I had this ‘feeling’. It turned out to be the right thing to do, when a large pipit, displaying prominent white outer-tail feathers, flew up from the path, a couple of hundred yards west of the coastguards’ lookout on Skelding Hill.

Eventually, reasonable ‘scope views were obtained and the familiar call of Richard’s heard. At last, a large pipit on the ground this year. Mike S phoned out the news to a hotline; this took 17 minutes to appear on the pager.

It just didn’t stop ! I then had a ‘phone call about a Rosie Starling. It obviously aspired to a pastoral vocation (on its vacation)- as can be seen in the RH photo. These, owing to the poor light, were not of towering quality and, since it was a young bird, it wasn’t a rose-tinted spectacle.

I hadn’t yet got to Salthouse, so went that way, noticing that some kind of incident was occurring, with numbers of police & coastguard vehicles and a chopper in the air. It didn’t, however, prevent my twitching an announced Short-eared Owl from Gramboro’.

Attachments

• 108pse.jpg
    108pse.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 401pse.jpg
    401pse.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 246
  • 366pse.jpg
    366pse.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 473pse.jpg
    473pse.jpg