• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (27 Viewers)

9 Waxwings in Morrisons car park occasionally flying down to feed on what looked like Viburnam berries on the mini roundabout. I watched them for about 45 mins between 3.45 and 4.30 and they were still present when I left.

More or less?

My first post on Birdforum; and as this thread has been a bit quiet recently I thought I might introduce a potentially controversial topic. I have been birding on the Norfolk/Suffolk border for 30+ years and things have changed a great deal, birding-wise, in that time. My premise is that there is are as many (if not more) increasing species than decreasing ones since, say, the mid 70s. This is purely from my own observation in my own extended patch, and I know that this is what the Norfolk Atlas etc is for, but here are the species I seem to see more of and those I see less of:-
(In no particular order)
More - Jackdaw, Magpie, Jay, Green Woodpecker, GS Woodpecker, Goldfinch, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Little Egret, Avocet, Pink Footed Goose, Med Gull, Little Gull, Wigeon, Bittern, Barn Owl, LT Tit
And less - Tree Sparrow, House Sparrow, Spotted Fly, Willow Tit, Treecreeper, Lapwing, Turtle Dove, Song Thrush, Skylark, Starling, Grey Partridge
(I am sure I have missed out a few on both sides)
I know overall bird populations have declined (44m since 1960s) and I am not making any particular point just articulating what I have observed. I am also aware that it is a little ridiculous to compare Bittern numbers with House Sparrows but just throwing this out there for comments!!

We seem to be in the strange situation where many of our " rare birds" are doing quite well while many of our "common " birds are doing badly. For rare birds such as bitten or marsh harrier you can target conservation measures to fit their needs , but thats a lot harder for species that used to be found across the wider countryside.

Titchwell March 6th

Today’s highlights

Avocet – 45 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Long tailed duck – female on fresh marsh

Paul

Into the valley(s)...
a couple of great days in the Wensum (and a bit of the Nar) Valley.
My first local Black-tailed Godwit, was one of 7 species of wader seen from one spot (unheard of for the valley!) which also included a Little Ringed Plover, which (I am led to believe) is Norfolk's second earliest - confirmation from any data freeks would be appreciated! A drake Pintail and still loads of Wigeon and Teal (both in very good numbers for the area) were noted along side 16 Bewick's Swans which headed NEand the more exotic Red-creasted Pochard and 2 (maybe 3) Ruddy Shelduck! These with Red Kite and plenty of Buzzards amongst other sightings have remineded me of the joys of the local area!

Depending on when you saw the LRP, it is probably the 3rd earliest county record. The Birds of Norfolk has one on 3rd March, and since then there was one on 4th March in 2005. In 2011 the earliest was 6th March, and there are a few records for the next week.

I also noticed on a blog that an early Osprey was seen today in the mid-Yare valley, so migrants are beginning to arrive.

James

Into the valley(s)...
a couple of great days in the Wensum (and a bit of the Nar) Valley.
My first local Black-tailed Godwit, was one of 7 species of wader seen from one spot (unheard of for the valley!) which also included a Little Ringed Plover, which (I am led to believe) is Norfolk's second earliest - confirmation from any data freeks would be appreciated! A drake Pintail and still loads of Wigeon and Teal (both in very good numbers for the area) were noted along side 16 Bewick's Swans which headed NEand the more exotic Red-creasted Pochard and 2 (maybe 3) Ruddy Shelduck! These with Red Kite and plenty of Buzzards amongst other sightings have remineded me of the joys of the local area!

a great couple of days spent in norfolk lots of firsts
male hen harrier, mistle thrush, little owls, brent geese and a water vole
got to see the WTE, a sparrowhawk entertaining us whilst we where eating breakfeast playing hide and seek,loads of golden polver, redwing and fieldfare, knot and water rail at titchwell, barn owl and mistle thrush at sculthorpe also brambling a 1st for the wife + marsh tits, 2 great spotted woodpecker
and a walk down snettisham reserve for high tide

Depending on when you saw the LRP, it is probably the 3rd earliest county record. The Birds of Norfolk has one on 3rd March, and since then there was one on 4th March in 2005. In 2011 the earliest was 6th March, and there are a few records for the next week.

I also noticed on a blog that an early Osprey was seen today in the mid-Yare valley, so migrants are beginning to arrive.

James

Thanks James, it was first seen y'day, so 3rd... but still great to see on such an early date!

Anyone notice a distinct lack of crossbills in the brecks ? I saw a couple over center parcs in early feb and had two today, one pictured here seen in a random place by the roadside!
Also saw Lesser & Great Spotted Woodpecker together which I don't often see, I just missed them on the same branch, but got a reasonable size comparison, also with marsh tit, usually the great's chase the little ones off. Couldn't resist the otters either, I'm glad I'm not the toad !

Attachments

• IMG_4769a.jpg
    IMG_4769a.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_4761b.jpg
    IMG_4761b.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_4790a.jpg
    IMG_4790a.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4834aa.jpg
    IMG_4834aa.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4668_1bbb.jpg
    IMG_4668_1bbb.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 269
Anyone notice a distinct lack of crossbills in the brecks ? I saw a couple over center parcs in early feb and had two today, one pictured here seen in a random place by the roadside!

Hi Stuart

Crossbills do appear to be very thin on the ground in the Brecks this winter. Personally haven't seen or heard one for months, though I'm not out in the field as much as you. Of course, this is not unusual for Crossbills! Good numbers of Siskin around.

Dawn

Whilst out with the dog this morning came across a flock of about 30 fieldfares nr Hedenham. Are these still about in large numbers or is Spring reall on its way ?

Whilst out with the dog this morning came across a flock of about 30 fieldfares nr Hedenham. Are these still about in large numbers or is Spring reall on its way ?

My experience is that there actually seem to be more Fieldfare and Redwing around at the moment than over the main winter period, which makes me wonder if these are birds starting to head back north.

Two sightings of Peregrines today: not necessarily that remarkable, but since both were inland, both at seemingly random sites, and one before and one after work, to me, makes it quite impressive. The sites: Beetley and Marlingford!

Last edited:
My first post on Birdforum; and as this thread has been a bit quiet recently I thought I might introduce a potentially controversial topic. I have been birding on the Norfolk/Suffolk border for 30+ years and things have changed a great deal, birding-wise, in that time. My premise is that there is are as many (if not more) increasing species than decreasing ones since, say, the mid 70s. This is purely from my own observation in my own extended patch, and I know that this is what the Norfolk Atlas etc is for, but here are the species I seem to see more of and those I see less of:-
(In no particular order)
More - Jackdaw, Magpie, Jay, Green Woodpecker, GS Woodpecker, Goldfinch, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Little Egret, Avocet, Pink Footed Goose, Med Gull, Little Gull, Wigeon, Bittern, Barn Owl, LT Tit
And less - Tree Sparrow, House Sparrow, Spotted Fly, Willow Tit, Treecreeper, Lapwing, Turtle Dove, Song Thrush, Skylark, Starling, Grey Partridge
(I am sure I have missed out a few on both sides)
I know overall bird populations have declined (44m since 1960s) and I am not making any particular point just articulating what I have observed. I am also aware that it is a little ridiculous to compare Bittern numbers with House Sparrows but just throwing this out there for comments!!

I think you raise a very interesting point here. I look at this from a slightly different perspective. As a youngster I had a very keen interest in ornithology. I plagued my parents to buy me "Collins Field Guide to The Birds Of Britain and Europe" which I studied avidly

My interest wained somewhat but returned much later (about 30 something years later!) and I was simply amazed just how much things had changed.
For example Cettis Warblers now common are listed as an "accidental", Buzzards were very uncommon in this part of the country and as I recall the only place you might see a Marsh Harrrier or an Avocet was at Minsmere.

My juvenile notebooks are full of tree sparrows and spotted fly, while a sparrowhawk was a red-letter day - and there simply weren't any other raptors other than kestrel. I had to go to wales to see my first buzzard. Thankfully eliminating ddt has fixed the raptor problem, but there's little prospect of such a quick fix for tree sparrows or any of the other farmland birds.

Thanks Paul1127 and Harassed Dad for your comments - my memories are very much the same as yours!! The excitement of a distant marsh harrier at Minsmere was quite something whilst nowadays, when out on my local marshes, I barely raise my binos to look at one unless it's really close. Things like green woodpecker and jay were pretty exciting birds - now everyday fare! Birds like peregrine and hobby seem far more common and I can see avocet on Breydon 12m a year, it was a Cley or Minsmere bird growing up. I remember cycling to Hickling in about '79(?) for Norfolks first GW egret, I wonder how long it will be before they are as common as L egret. Also Dartford warbler was a bird you had to do some proper travelling for. In fact I wonder what the birding scene will be like in another 30 years. Red kites as common as kestrels? More purple then grey herons? What might be lost? Tree sparrow? What other species might spread - I remember Savis threatening and recall there was always talk that fantailed warbler was coming?

Last edited:
Titchwell March 8th

Today’s highlights

Long tailed duck – female on fresh marsh
Avocet – 48 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – female in reedbed

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back