• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small hands (1 Viewer)

Nick-on

Need a pair of reasonable quality binocs suitable for (very) small hands, 8 year old hands in fact. We have approx 9 pairs of binoculars in the house (never know when you are going to need them) varying in size from 10x50 to 8x20, and all sizes in between. Some are very good some not so good but they all (except one) have one thing in common.........they are not suitable for my young son's hands. Even the 8x20 are too fiddly to focus easily, the only ones that he likes using are MINE (Nikon 8x32HG's...and hes not having them!). So what I need are a small, easily focussed, bright image and fairly sharp pair of binocs (otherwise how can I continue the brainwashing?, I'll need someone to drive me around and take me birding when I'm old and grey).
Any cunning (useful) suggestions.

What you need, I guess, Nick, is one of what they call the 'pocket' models, like the Swarovski Slimline or the Zeiss Select models. These are high quality optics and expensive, but IF the kid loses interest, they go into your pocket or glove box just nicely! Of course, there are cheaper pocket bins by other makers, if you check out the shops.

Totally agree with Charles. I have a Zeoss select, which even my daughter (age 4) can use. And I can use them too, even most people compare my hands to shovels:)

I agree up to a point, I have considered one of the smaller pocket-size options, but he wants a pair 'like daddies'. So that means small roof prism, pull out eye-cups etc.. Have been doing a bit/lot of looking around and Olympus have some 8x25 WP1 compacts that dont look too compact, if you know what I mean? But I dont know what they are like optically and as they are about £150 don't want to waste moneyif they are no good (only found them on the net so far). Another choice might be a fairly lightweight 8x32 RP but all the cheap(ish) ones I've seen have been pretty cr*p.

Nick-on

well if you're prepared to go to £200 what about the new Opticron Traveller comes in 6 8 & 10 * 32 mags ? They weigh about 460grams. They're proper roof prism. Check out the Opticron website.

Would the Nikkon Sporters, similar price, be too big?

Pete

Hi pete

Don't think the sporters would be too big just don't know if they are any good? Been searching round the 'usual suspects' for ideas and found Dowling & Rowe 8x32 for about £120 and Eschenbach Sektor D 8x32 for £101. Reasonable/cheap prices but has anybody ever looked through them?

well the usual advice follows go to a dealer and try 'em out!!

I did try the 10*36 sporters myself and they were ok -didn't buy em in the end, there was a review in Birdwatching a month or so a go. Obviously not going to compare with your HG's though.

I mentioned the Optricon Travellers because Opticron seem to be good value for money, the midget 2 is excellent for the dosh. There is also a new roof 8*42 from opticron at about £120. Food for thought.

No I don't work for them - I don't even own opticron bins got close though!

That's the problem in deepest darkest Herefordshire, no good local binocular shops. That's one of the attractions of the Dowling & Rowe's as Monk Optics are not too far away (and they are advertising them at £95. I'm not really after the sharpest bins on the block, it's more ease of focussing (one s or two?), field of view and depth of field. At (nearly) 8 years old the main thing is to be able to actually see the bird as opposed to discussing 'buff edging to the secondaries'. We have a reasonable pair of 7x35 which are pretty sharp and good FOV and DOF but he can't reach/turn the focussing wheel so he missed Wood Warbler on Sunday (I did lendhim mine but it was too late!).
As for Opticron, I used to have a pair of 10x42HR's until this year and found them as good/better as bins twice the price. I just think £200 bins for a nearly 8yr old is spoiling him a bit (he'll want Nikon Hg's, or heaven forbid, Swarovski El's for his 10th birthday!

ah well. How about a trip to a reserve that sells bins? Not sure how far slimbridge is from you (depends where in deepest darkest herefordshire you are).

Not too far from Slimbridge, just over an hour, and we were there a fortnight ago. I don't know if it's just me but every time I go to the in-focus shop there I always feel as if I'm intruding! No doubt everybody else will say how wonderful and helpful they are but I find the sales people 'uninterested'. like I said I expect it's just me.
I've had one or two other suggestions PM'ed so I've got a few ideas for the weekend (so to speak).

Never been to Slimbridge. The guy who served me at London Colney was really helpful.

Let us know how you get on.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back