• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Ladybird IDs + a strange insect, London, UK (1 Viewer)

Clarke Robinson

Hi Everyone

Due to the lack of my feathered friends this morning in Hyde Park, I turned my attention to the local insect population. Captured a couple of ladybirds I've never seen before and am not sure what they are. The third pic, I have no idea what the heck it is, though I can say that I'm glad it's 1cm long rather than 1m long 8-P .

Any help is appreciated :)

Attachments

• Ladybird 01 - ID Needed.jpg
    Ladybird 01 - ID Needed.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Ladybird 02 - ID Needed.jpg
    Ladybird 02 - ID Needed.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Insect - ID Needed.jpg
    Insect - ID Needed.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 92
They are harlequin ladybirds and the spiky beast is a harlequin larva in the final stage before pupation.

Thanks Keith, I had heard of the species before, but never seen one hence the need for the identification. Thanks for the interesting link, I'll go record my siting now.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back