• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN-1 and TSN-3 (1 Viewer)

Elmer Fudd

Is anyone here who has one or even both scopes (TSN-1 and TSN-3) or it's counterpart with a straight eyepiece in use and would like to provide some pictures taken through these scope to show any difference in quality.

As far as I understand is that the TSN-3 is the upgrade version of the TSN-1 with fluorid coated lenses.

Hi,

I own a TSN-3 and have met a fellow birder with the TSN-1 so we could try both side by side with the same eyepieces (The old Kowa 20-60 zoom from the 80s - best avoided, the great Kowa 30 wide - mine is current but the old ones are also very good and an Opticron SDLv2 zoom which happens to fit and in my opinion is a bit better than the current Kowa 20-60 I have also tried).

Both instruments performed quite equally up to 40x or so with a bit off axis colour in the TSN-1. Past that the image visibly degraded in the TSN-1 due to axial chromatic aberration while the TSN-3 with a calcium fluorite element is still very sharp at the maximum magnification of the opticron zoom at 52x and was so up to 60x with the current Kowa 20-60x zoom when I tried it. I'm currently looking for a fixed mag EP giving around 70x which I suspect to be useful too.

I should have some images at high magnification which I could post next week since I'm going to be away this weekend.

TLDR: TSN-3 is recommended, TSN-1 too with the 30x wide and visual only. The old Kowa 20-60 zoom with teh fold-up rubber eyecup should be replaced.

Joachim

Hi,

here's two pictures of the herons across the river at 150m or so through my TSN-3 and SDLv2 at 36x and 52. Sorry, no priceworthy closeups from the feeder as I don't have anything closer from my balcony and don't usually take pictures.

Joachim

Attachments

• P6190669-small.JPG
    P6190669-small.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 340
  • P6190621-small.JPG
    P6190621-small.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 324
And some more pictures of a cooperative crow at non-absurd range (8-10m) - zoom at 36x and 50 to 80mm objective on the camera (well, actually half of that due to crop factor of 2).

Joachim

Attachments

• P6290714-small.JPG
    P6290714-small.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 239
  • P6290710-small.JPG
    P6290710-small.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 244
And a nice black kite at 150m with the scope at 52x and the objective at 32mm (or rather 64 due to crop factor).

Attachments

• P7050813-small.JPG
    P7050813-small.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 307
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back