• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Scope and Eyepiece Focal Length Information (1 Viewer)

pete_gamby

Birds? What Birds?!
A (hopefully) comprehensive list of the focal lengths of various Opticron scopes and more or less all current and discontinued eyepieces.

Hope someone finds it useful!

Cheers, Pete

Attachments

• Scope and Eyepiece Focal Lengths.xlsx
    10.6 KB · Views: 412
Excellent Peter, thank you very much. I'm using the 40809 on my Pentax 65mm and 80mm scopes.
This gives me 24x on the 65 and and about 33x on the 80mm.
It's an excellent ep, tack sharp with a fairly wide afov. Pete, why have you discontinued it?

Last edited:
Thanks loads for that, Pete......snag is I cannot open that zip file on my old Mac comp. Any chance of doing it as a pdf, please?

AT LAST...someone from an Optics company who cares about us!

Steve

PDF version attached for those of us with steam-powered computers ;-)

Cheers, Pete

Attachments

• Scope and Eyepiece Focal Lengths.pdf
    179.1 KB · Views: 226
Muchos thanks for ye olde pdf version, Pete.

The coal merchant has just delivered some coal, I can stoke up my ancient computer now. I wonder what this looks like in colour....

Steve

Hi,

yes, I saw this too - I suspect a typo which is irrelevant here since the focal length for both is 8-24mm.

Joachim

Well spotted Joachim and Patch67 - I don't think I've ever published a spreadsheet or PDF without some kind of error in it!

Attached are revised versions.

Cheers, Pete

Attachments

• Scope and Eyepiece Focal Lengths.xlsx
    10.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Scope and Eyepiece Focal Lengths.pdf
    179.1 KB · Views: 286
I know it may be obvious to some how to use Pete's very useful focal length(FL) info but, just in case, to find out the magnification of an eyepiece on a particular spotting scope you divide the FL of the scope's body by the FL of the eyepiece. I realise this info may be engraved, in part, on the eyepiece or, more fully, on the eyepiece box...but not everybody may still have the eyepiece's box! Also, especially for astro scope users, the FL of an eyepiece can be worked out by dividing the scope's FL by the eyepiece's magnification.

Steve(President of the State the Obvious Club of GB)

Well spotted Joachim and Patch67 -...

Attached are revised versions.

Cheers, Pete

Thanks Pete for the PDF version.
I'd far prefer to spend my money on optics than on modern MS software! I bought a full set of MS_Office way back when Win 95 or some such was the latest kid on the block!

Hi Pete,

any chance to get the afov of part number 40831? Focal length should be 16mm - does it also have 67 deg afov as the old part number 40809?

Joachim

Hi,

I would attribute those (fairly small) differences to measuring and/or rounding errors... or all the magnifications given on the Opticron pages are wrong as they give 12-36x for the 50x body and 15-45 for the 60mm bodies - for both MM3 and MM4 and SDLv2 and V3.

Joachim

Hi Joachim,
Yes I wondered if maths errors were responsible. I can't think of any other reason.
Bit if the MM3 / MM4 have matching FLs, as do the e/ps, then I don't see where errors can creep in.
I wonder where the chart came from?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back