• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flooding and King Rails (1 Viewer)

ovenbird43

United States
I worked along the Mississippi River in Missouri over the past 2 years, studying King Rails. There is a small but predictable population that breeds at Clarence Cannon National Wildlife Refuge and B.K. Leach Conservation Area-Bittern Basin Unit. Least Bitterns also often nest in these areas, as well as Marsh and Sedge Wrens (though usually later in the summer).

Right now the Mississippi River in these areas is well above flood stage, and according to a fellow student who is continuing to survey these refuges, Clarence Cannon is entirely flooded, even up to the elevated visitor's center. I haven't heard about BK Leach, except that the staff is expecting it to flood over as well.

I don't live near the area, but I just wonder how bad the damage will be. Apparently, Ted Shanks Conservation Area sustained heavy damage in the similar flood of 1993, significantly altering the habitat and apparently driving out the king rails that used to breed there. Fifteen years later, they still don't appear there with any regularity. The flooding is certain to destroy any current nests and broods of the king rails and other birds, but I wonder about the lasting damage. Both areas are terrific for birding any time of the year, and important breeding sites for a state-endangered species, I sure hope they can bounce back from this.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back