• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox Porro's (1 Viewer)

SimonK

Hiya all,
I finally got my minox porros last week (my birthday!), and I took them out for a spin at the weekend, so I thought I'd let you know my impressions.

Firstly, They're a little on the heavy side, but not somethings that actually bothered me unless I was trying to use the bins single handed for a length of time. The construction is great.. high quality and you could probably knock nails in with them; solid as a rock. The rubber coating feels very nice and the bins handled great, even with my small hands everything was within reach. The twist up eye pieces had two intermediate stops (and full up/down) and never moved once set. The neoprene strap was really nice and felt comfy at all times.
The picture is outstanding.. really sharp and crisp with very nice neutral colours that seemed well saturated to me. The sharpness fell off a little towards the edge, but in the field it wasn't something I noticed to be honest. The one outstanding feature of these bins is just the HUGE depth of field.. incredible! I just set the focus about halfway out at Rutland water and I could focus birds from the waterline infront of the hide right across to the visitor center on the other side of the lagoon. When walking around I just set a middleish distance and thats it.. done. I hardly had to use the focus wheel at all apart from when I really needed the sharpest image for a bird!
Anyway.. I love them so much, I had to go back on Sunday too! :)
I love them, what a great beginners pair of bins (which is what I am, so people may disagree with me, but hey.. they're mega for me)!

-Si

Dear Si,

What are the specs of this glass? I have not seen them on this side of the Pond.
Enjoy your new binocular!
Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Pinewood said:
Dear Si,

What are the specs of this glass? I have not seen them on this side of the Pond.
Enjoy your new binocular!
Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

oh, also mine are the 8x44's.

From Minox's web site:

Magnification: 8 x
Front lens diameter: 1.73 in / 44 mm
Exit pupil: 0.22 in / 5.5 mm
Field of view: 336.74 ft / 1000 yds 6.4°
111.7 m / 1000 m 6.4°
Eye relief: 0.72 in / 18.5 mm
Close distance: 13.12 ft / 4 m
Over run: ± 4 dpt
Diopter adjustment: ± 2 dpt
Twilight number: 18,8
Geom. twilight number: 30.3
Operating temperature: 14° to 122° F /
-10° to +50° C
Waterproof: yes, down to 16.4 ft / 5 m
Height x Width x Depth: 4.96 x 7.20 x 2.04 in / 126 x 183 x 52 mm
Weight: approx. 800g

-Si

Si,

Ta! Streatham had directed me to a 10x44 Model. I do not know if Minox distributes your model, over here.
Have fun, using it.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Pinewood said:
Si,

Ta! Streatham had directed me to a 10x44 Model. I do not know if Minox distributes your model, over here.
Have fun, using it.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Hi Arthur,The information says these Minox porro's have internal focusing,no moving parts outside.Easier to make waterproof.
Steve

mooreorless said:
Hi Arthur,The information says these Minox porro's have internal focusing,no moving parts outside.Easier to make waterproof.
Steve

Correct.. and the close focus is more like 3m rather than the stated 4m.

-Si

mooreorless said:
Steve
Very nice, indeed, as is the close focussing. The FOV is a little shy of my preference.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

SimonK said:
...I just set the focus about halfway out at Rutland water and I could focus birds from the waterline infront of the hide right across to the visitor center on the other side of the lagoon. When walking around I just set a middleish distance and thats it.. done. I hardly had to use the focus wheel at all apart from when I really needed the sharpest image for a bird!
-Si

You're benefitting from the fact that your OWN lenses can still focus. Once you get older you'll need to focus much more. So enjoy while you can. But as the loss of one's own adjustment is a gradual process, you'll get used to that too. It only struck me some time ago when I tried to use my old but at the time very trusted 7x50s. I used to love them precisely for the fact that I hardly ever had to focus. Now, I need to all the time, so that convenience is (long) gone.

Hello!
A week ago I got my new 8x44 from Minox (a good deal: 302 Euro via ebay from a foto shop). Here is my first review:
It seems to be more brilliant than a Pentax DCF SP 8X43 owned by a friend of mine. It felt as if somebody switched on the light when you changed the binos from Pentax to Minox. The picture is sharp. The close focus is indeed more 3 than 4 meters. The quality of the construction is really - as Simon said - good: solid and a fat focus wheel. I´m not realy shure, but I think I can see a little little tiny tiny bit of chromatic aberration. I have to check it again, but I haven´t got time at the moment. But this slight mistake wouldn´t bother me.
Matthias

macforst said:
Hello!
A week ago I got my new 8x44 from Minox (a good deal: 302 Euro via ebay from a foto shop). Here is my first review:
It seems to be more brilliant than a Pentax DCF SP 8X43 owned by a friend of mine. It felt as if somebody switched on the light when you changed the binos from Pentax to Minox. The picture is sharp. The close focus is indeed more 3 than 4 meters. The quality of the construction is really - as Simon said - good: solid and a fat focus wheel. I´m not realy shure, but I think I can see a little little tiny tiny bit of chromatic aberration. I have to check it again, but I haven´t got time at the moment. But this slight mistake wouldn´t bother me.
Matthias

I hope you enjoy your bins as much as I am enjoying mine. For £250 notes, I dont think you can go wrong with these. :)

-Si

Marko_ said:
The new Opticron HR WP Porro looks very much like this Minox, has anyone noticed ? They come in 8x42 and 10x42.

they are probably the same product made in the same factory and sold under two different brands. Regardless of how good they are, the field of view is inexcusably narrow.

Otto McDiesel said:
they are probably the same product made in the same factory and sold under two different brands. Regardless of how good they are, the field of view is inexcusably narrow.

Having looked around at other bins in this price range (Under £250), the FOV seemed average for x42's to me. Still, each to his own; I went for the best image quality I could get for my budget to my eyes, over FOV. I looked at the opticron verano's and some others but the image just didn't do it for me I'm afraid. The HR's did look really fab; I was torn between the HR's and the BP's. I went for the BP's in the end only because the design was nicer. :cool:

-Si

The 336 ft. FOV for the Minox is toward the low end of what's possible. Certainly not the very worst, but nothing to be happy about either. Especially with the available alternatives.

Bushnell Legends = 330
Pentax PCF WP II = 330
Cabela's Pine Ridge = 341
Leupold WindRiver Mesa = 341
Swift Ultra Light = 341
Steiners = too many to list, but typically right around 390
B&L Discoverer = 410
Nikon Action Series = 429
Pentax XCF = 429
Swift Audubon (both regular and ED versions) = 430

I personally like to have as wide of a (usable) FOV as I can possibly get. But, as the Minox is a first binocular and is a tool for getting started in a new hobby and as they seem to meet all of your other needs, you should not let anyone cause you to worry too much about any percieved loss. Minox makes good, high quality stuff and you should get many years of satisfying viewing out of your new toy.

Simon, you chose these minox over opticron at the last minute, according to another thread. Why did you change at last minute? What was the diffrence in quality?

wolfbirder said:
Simon, you chose these minox over opticron at the last minute, according to another thread. Why did you change at last minute? What was the diffrence in quality?

Quality and the Minox handled better for me. The Opticron's "shoulder bulges" made it a little difficult for my small hands. The Minox was nicer to look at too. :)

-Si

Last edited:
weigh? 800g or 640g

Hi Simom,

I've read your post where you posted the specs (weight 800g/1.76lbs) for the 8x44 porro, but on below miinox website it states the weight is approx 690g/24.34 oz

http://www.minox-web.de/minox2002/index.phtml?&&speechchange=e&sprache=e

(you have to go to the left at go to sports optics and click 8x44)

I see you say they are a bit heavy, did you scale yours?

BTW - What do you think of them now? I'm thinking of getting a pair.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
Beware of the narrow field of view of those Minox porros. They are good optically and are a great concept, but looking through them is like looking through a pipe. I would like to see those with 8* FOV eyepieces.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back