• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic G2 Camera (1 Viewer)

barneyrover

Being new to bird watching am thinking of buying a suitable camera and zoom lens.. Have been impressed with reports on Panasonic G2 and notice that new 300mm lens due out shortly. Has anyone any advice or experience of this camera? Any help would be appreciated.

I can't comment on the G2 but I have had a G1 for over a year now. (I purchased one of the first ones in Lincolnshire.) I can only state that I have found the G1 to be a revelation, easy to operate, plenty of modes, quality Panansonic and Leica and Olympus lenses, brilliant and informative viewfinder and also live view, also it is a very lightweight hanging from your neck. To me it produces first class results.
Like you I am awaiting the zoom 100 - 300mm lens and will buy one as soon as it's released.
Get along to a dealer who stcks one and try the camera out. I think you will be very impressed with the newer model.:t:

Last edited:
Thanks for that Geoff. From what I can see 300mm lens looks as though will be about £550 rrp which seems a bit excessive. No doubt will be discounted once available.

A big deal has been made about the ETC mode in the GH-2 camera. However, I looked at the G2 camera manual online and it also has this function. Has anyone tried the G2 in this mode?

I've just picked up the 100-300 zoom and used it on the G1. It has nice reach and does a reasonble job. It's a little slow for birds in flight on the G1 but a nice combo to have around your neck all day.
Neil

Panasonic G1 and Panasonic 100-300 zoom lens

Hong Kong,
China.
Dec 2010

Attachments

• bw stilts G1_1940534.jpg
    bw stilts G1_1940534.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 193
  • eurasian spoonbill G1 c_1940500.jpg
    eurasian spoonbill G1 c_1940500.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 139
  • redshank G1_1940532.jpg
    redshank G1_1940532.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 193
  • great egret G1_1940403.jpg
    great egret G1_1940403.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 174
I thought i have found a great combination of the G1 and 45-200mm zoom.

I want to get shots of low eagles overhead. Any comments?

If you can get close enough, I think that combination would work okay with large birds (like eagles) if they are close. The 400mm equivalent reach you can achieve may work for larger birds, and I find that the 45-200mm lens does focus faster than the 100-300mm. I didn't have much luck with the 45-200mm / G1 combination chasing small, fast moving birds - not enough reach and it is hard to find small birds in the G1 viewfinder.

If you don't have the camera yet, I would also suggest looking at the newer cameras (the G2 or the GH-2) which do have some advantages over the G1. I have a GH-2 on order - it reportedly focuses faster, has more pixels, better noise performance and an integrated tele-extender function which all sound promising. I'll post something when I get the camera and let you know how it compares to the G1. Of course, everything comes with a price tag, and the GH-2 right now is more expensive than the G1. Good luck with whichever choice you make.

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back