• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht SLC 8x30 WB (1 Viewer)

mak17

Just got these back from Swarovski. They cleaned them up as best they could, but the eyepieces and objective lenses have scratches to the coatings. It doesn't seem to degrade the image in anyway but obviously would detract from the value. I was wondering what the specs are as far as the FOV and eye relief, also if anyone knows what sort of glass was used? I assume these aren't phase coated...Also what would be a fair price for a pair of these? The rep on the phone said "a replacement pair would cost about $1000" and that they were made in 1993. I'm not a binocular pro, but the optics seem to be razor sharp, collimation is dead on, and they are very comfortable combination of eye relief and FOV. Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

• IMG_2272.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2275.JPG
    IMG_2275.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 129
Hi Mak,

Welcome to BirdForum. I posted the 1995 Eagle Optics catalog HERE, so you can get all the specs you need.

You have a Mark II model, which is waterproof and phase coated. I'll let you look up the FOV. I owned one myself, but Swarovski eventually upgraded it to a Mark IV, which looks somewhat different.

Your's should be worth $350-$500, but that's only a guess. Excellent binocular. Back then it was considered the top 8x30 on the market, slightly less desirable that the Leica 8x32BA.

Enjoy it,
Ed

I bought a pair of 7x30. They were rebuilt by SONA for a fee, did they offer any upgrades available? The pair I had were built to MK4 standards.

I think they easily outperform Vortex anything.

They didn't offer any upgrades, but I didn't get charged anything either. They replaced the focus mechanism and cleaned them inside and out...They are truly wonderful binos, as are the Vortex 6x32....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back