• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

videodigiscope? (1 Viewer)

jonafly

Hi everyone,

Maybe a dumb question (although the only dumb question is the one that's not asked...):

Is it possible to digiscope with a digital videocamera?
Anyone any experience with this?

E.g. I've got a Canon XM1

There are quite a few people who do it Jonafly, I have 3 friends that all do to some extent (the bets of my friends being Steve Blain www.steveblain.co.uk ) but I'm sure you'll find a few people on here that do it as well. Good luck with it all.

Trouble with the Canon XM1 is the very big lens diameter and filter size(58mm) so it would be a massive optical attachment up front and could be a very unwieldy setup.
Personally I have found the 20X zoom is adequate in most cases.

I Would Also Like To Start Using A Video Camera With My Ats 80 Hd.
Can You Suggest A Good Video Camera And Adaptor,dont Mind The Cost ?
Also What Size Lens Should I Use ?
Thanks For Any Help.

videoscoping

Pete

my ideal set up would be if money wasnt an object with your scope

eagleeye 10X lens

(this is needed to replace the swarwoski lens 20 - 60 lens or 32X its too powerful,although you can use the zoom on 20X setting it will give you an image the image will be large, in many circumstances too large, only head and shouldersof the bird !! )

eagleeye adapter 37mm thread diameter with matching collar

(to attach the camcorder to the lens )

Sony PC 120 Digital camcorder ( 37 mm diameter lens also has a stills facility to take pics) any sony camcorder with a 37mm lens check the specification on the sony web site

total cost now should be under a grand if you shop round PC120 might be scarce but should be available do a google search on "Sony PC 120"

You then may need to look at your tripod, is it sturdy enough ? do you need a video head attached to the tripod to take the weight of the scope and camcorder Manfrotto 501 video head 120 quid ? extra batteries, memory cards for taking pics if you are going to take pics ?

hope this helps ?

rgds

Paul

Paul Hackett said:
Pete

my ideal set up would be if money wasnt an object with your scope

eagleeye 10X lens

(this is needed to replace the swarwoski lens 20 - 60 lens or 32X its too powerful,although you can use the zoom on 20X setting it will give you an image the image will be large, in many circumstances too large, only head and shouldersof the bird !! )

eagleeye adapter 37mm thread diameter with matching collar

(to attach the camcorder to the lens )

Sony PC 120 Digital camcorder ( 37 mm diameter lens also has a stills facility to take pics) any sony camcorder with a 37mm lens check the specification on the sony web site

total cost now should be under a grand if you shop round PC120 might be scarce but should be available do a google search on "Sony PC 120"

You then may need to look at your tripod, is it sturdy enough ? do you need a video head attached to the tripod to take the weight of the scope and camcorder Manfrotto 501 video head 120 quid ? extra batteries, memory cards for taking pics if you are going to take pics ?

hope this helps ?

rgds

Paul
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE PAUL.
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE NEW SONY 330 WHICH IS THE SAME SIZE,IT ALSO HAS 3 MEGAPIXELS,STILLS FACILITY & 37MM LENS BUT NO BLUETOOTH.
WOULD THIS BE OK ?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back