• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lapwings (1 Viewer)

Tifstorey

Hi All,

Long story short, i'm trying to build up a collection of British bird sounds for myself for future reference. After last years failed attempt of trying to find owls, i'm going to prepare a little better this year and ask some of you guys for some tips :t:

Lapwings! Awesome sound from what i've heard, but i'm in need of a few tips on what time is best for them? I know they gather around soggy farmland, which thankfully i have alot of around me. Are they active at night? Is there a best time at all?

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Tif

You can hear them displaying at any time of day, but they are more active around dusk and they certainly carry on calling after dark.

Up here they are starting to return inland to their breeding areas now, although they are still in flocks, so you should be able to find them now in areas where they are going to nest. Over the next month or so they will start to establish their territories and by late March/early April they will be very actively displaying, although things may be a little earlier where you are.

Thanks for the reply,

So i'd be better off waiting for another month or two if i want to get them in full song?

I had a great chance last year where i was stood in a field at 1am (Don't ask..), i had them flying around my head making that high pitched 'whoop' sound - Was awesome, if not a little scary at first when i didn't know what they were. Unfortunately for me though, i didn't have any of my recording gear so i'm hoping i can get the same opportunity again.

I *think* it was around March time last year, although my memory isn't the best.. Hence the post :)

Thanks again,

I saw/heard 2 last night at around 7:15, they were making a great noise, while darting and chasing after each other.
They were at it for ages, and were flying all over the place, and thankfully they at times dived below the level of the stadium lights bringing them clearly into view. It was brilliant :t:

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back