• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

Just revisited all your black and white work Nick. They're all terrific, it's a great talent you have, nothing you turn your hand to seems to be a problem.

Woody

Illustrations all done now, here are the last two, after being played around with on the computer (gamma and greyscale - WTF?!) Nice to finish as there are tonnes of proper pictures to be painted at the moment.

Attachments

• goéland brun.jpg
    goéland brun.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 84
  • huitrier pie.jpg
    huitrier pie.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 92
From the sketchbook: there's been a Sibe Chiffchaff in the car park of the Franche-Comté Natural History Group (twitching it was how I ended up doing the above illustrations), Have spent hours now looking for it, with no luck, here's a sketch of the odd, pale but quite greeny yellow chiffy that I got. Neither nowt nor summat this one!

Attachments

• pouillot.jpg
    pouillot.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 96
and to finish for the moment, here are two paintings from last night, goosanders and coal tits. Have a long list of stuff to do: a wallcreeper, another wallcreeper, displaying goosanders, a firecrest, a group of lt tits with a st treecreeper, a pair of dabchicks, and I won't have the time this weekend as my parents are visiting (though I'm still going to twitch a R L Buzzard Sunday morning!)

Attachments

• azerghjppolkj 002.jpg
    azerghjppolkj 002.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 101
  • azerghjppolkj 003.jpg
    azerghjppolkj 003.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 98
  • azerghjppolkj 001.jpg
    azerghjppolkj 001.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 113
Don't you dare even think that those BW paintings are not proper!

Gasp! Gobsmackingly good goosanders! I hope we can look forward to another avalanche of spectacular colour work?

Woody

The group of monochromes have worked out spectacularly well - superb illustrations - be sure to show us the published work.
The goosanders are right up there with the best of your studio work - enthralling and thoroughly captivating images- truly excellent.
Love the sketched chiff, too.

Last edited:
I wish , I could be half as prolific and inspired as you are Nick!
You productivity let me no chance to follow!
I'm just enjoy every of your creations!!

Paschalis

I suppose the only answer is for you to stop sleeping, Nick, as you can't possibly expect us to wait until after the weekend. The goosanders are FANTASTIC.

WOW!!!! :eek!: Love those Goosanders but the Coal Tits do it for me :t: They are in a rather magical setting - I would never have come up with that idea

How on earth do you keep coming up with new ideas and settings to put your birds in (can't remember the proper word......oh no, yes I can - it's composition! :-O

Love them! B :) I want I want I WANT!!!! :-O

Oh do I HAVE to go to work now? I want to stay and watch you paint!!!

Last edited:
Nick- Love the last work- There is a contemporary 'modern' look to the gooseanders and the coal tits are just charming if you don't mind me saying so.

thanks for al the comments on these ones, I hope they convey some of the pleasure I had in seeing and painting them. I really am in the mood to paint, but as my parents are on their way and I've spent all day cooking christmas dinner, there's just no time this weekend, b*gger!

I guess we are all going to have to wait for the rush. I expect you to skip school for the next three days (after the visit from your parents) and produce all these thing you mentioned, so that we can have our appetites appeased.

I guess we are all going to have to wait for the rush. I expect you to skip school for the next three days (after the visit from your parents) and produce all these thing you mentioned, so that we can have our appetites appeased.

If you see the Roughleg, do that first...

no roughleg, didn't even go, parents wanted to see other things, probably just as well, too much to do already, will try and post the sketches from the past few days to give you an idea of how much stuff I've got to do!

First of all the Chiff Chaff is a fantastic little sketch.Nick. Goosanders are superg too, great design sense displayed in the strong group composition. The Coal tits are just lovely.

Rough Legs often stay in the same area for long periods, if not whole winters, so I'd say you have a good chance of catching up on the beast. Best of look!

Still not caught up with the roughleg, though had an encounter with a rare visitor from another direction in the form of a cattle egret - damn thing was just a head bobbing up from behind a patch of grass for most of the time, so no real sketches of it (and haven't taken a photo of them yet so will have to wait to load them up). Here's a wallcreeper from a few weeks back:

Attachments

• DSCF4597.JPG
    DSCF4597.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 100
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back