• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird table siting (1 Viewer)

dave gore

we have recently bought a bird table with a roof and a shelf on the side for feeding too, we have the usual suspects who visit our garden, sparrows (lots of them), goldfinches, the odd robin and blue tits who already use the seed feeders and peanut feeders and the fat balls but since the table was put in on 5 days ago there have been very few visits to the table but still as many to the others

it is sited towards the corner of the garden about 4 feet from the feeders and not that far from where there is cover for the birds but my main question is whether the siting is ok or is it just a matter of the birds getting used to it being there, it's a real buzz to see the birds visit the table but i wasnt to see them there more !!, too impatient really

any opinions or thoughts gladly listened to

dave

Hello Dave. On behalf of admin and all the moderators, welcome to Bird Forum.

I think the answer is that you definitely need to have some patience. I think it does take a while for the birds to get used to new feeders in the area. I'm sure they will get the idea pretty soon. Or you can put something really tasty on there.

Five days? I dunno, I would have thought the birds would have found it in a day or two, since they are feeding nearby anyway. 'Not far' is how far from cover? I try to mount that sort of thing so that it is hopping distance from the nearest outstretched branch. How high above ground is it? High enough to allow warning of pouncing cats?

the table is 6 feet from the corner of the garden where there are hedges and trees with cover where the birds will all scarper to if something rattles them, there is plenty to eat on there digi birder, fat treats and seeds too, maybe i should move it a bit nearer to the feeders

dave

... And welcome to BF! Sorry, didn't notice it was your first post, just started in pontificating. Hope you find the answers to many questions here, Dave, and can answer a few of our own.....

UPDATE

glad to report that another day or two after ny initial posting the word must have got around the bird grapevine so to speak and the table started to get used, i moved it slightly further towards the seed feeders, we even have seen a return of a couple of robins who we hadn't seen for a while and it's a real buzz to see the birds using the table through the day

dave

good to hear Dave

I remember the buzz my folks got when they saw their first Greenfinch and Chaffinch in the garden!!

welcome to the forum as well

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back