• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose Hybrid - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Noticed this at the Reservoirs this morning; my first thought is Canada/Greylag cross, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1370266R.JPG
    P1370266R.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 54
  • P1370249R.JPG
    P1370249R.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 59
Thanks for replying.

Yeah it does look like the Canada/Greylags that I've seen before. The only doubt I have is because of the white around the base of the bill, which I've not noticed before.

Thanks for replying.

Yeah it does look like the Canada/Greylags that I've seen before. The only doubt I have is because of the white around the base of the bill, which I've not noticed before.

the one i saw did have white there also, i posted it on here a while ago asking just the same question and probably thinking just the same also

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=157292

this is alink to the thread about my one

Last edited:
white around the base of bill is a common feature of canada x greylag.
if the greylag parent was a domestic one (a "barnyard" goose), the white can even be much more extended than in your bird! But your bird could still have a domestic parent.
in general, Canada x greylag is probably the commonest combination of the genera Anser and Branta.

canada x greater whitefront is possible but much rarer and also in most cases has more white in the face than your bird.

white around the base of bill is a common feature of canada x greylag.
if the greylag parent was a domestic one (a "barnyard" goose), the white can even be much more extended than in your bird! But your bird could still have a domestic parent.
in general, Canada x greylag is probably the commonest combination of the genera Anser and Branta.

canada x greater whitefront is possible but much rarer and also in most cases has more white in the face than your bird.

Thanks, as I said, Canada/Greylag was my first impression, I'd just not noticed the white around the base of the bill before. I'll pay more attention next time.|=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back