• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ocean Gaints BBC 1 1/3 21.00pm-22.00pm 14/8/2011 (1 Viewer)

I enjoyed the trailer for that, it really caught my attention when it first came on. I hope it's all new footage and not stuff lifted from The Blue Planet or Planet Earth. With Frozen Planet coming up soon, I hope we're not getting a preview of some of the footage for that as well.

Yep does look like a good watch that one tomorrow night!

Hadn't heard about frozen planet yet, will have to keep a look out for when that starts :t:

I enjoyed the trailer for that, it really caught my attention when it first came on. I hope it's all new footage and not stuff lifted from The Blue Planet or Planet Earth. With Frozen Planet coming up soon, I hope we're not getting a preview of some of the footage for that as well.

Fabulous programme and the photography was awe inspiring.

The part of the programme with the Killer Whales and the Grey Whales 'youngsters' was so heart rendering it was unbelievable to watch. I felt quite upset about it all.

So worth a watch and to add for the better understanding abut the different species of the whales that exist on our planet. Some of them are huge to say the least..the colder the climate the larger the whale so it seems.

Regards
Kathy
x

I just sat here with a huge grin on my face - the behaviour of the dolphins and whales on tonight's programme was an amazing sight to behold. Much of it has been shown before in other programmes, but it never stops being fascinating.

There was a clip of a Sperm Whale during the introduction, it didn't show it again during the main body of the programme, so I'm hoping it features in the next episode. Philip Hoare in his book Leviathian described how he felt poundings in his chest when a Sperm Whale was using echolocation to check him out while he was in the water with one.

I just sat here with a huge grin on my face - the behaviour of the dolphins and whales on tonight's programme was an amazing sight to behold. Much of it has been shown before in other programmes, but it never stops being fascinating.

There was a clip of a Sperm Whale during the introduction, it didn't show it again during the main body of the programme, so I'm hoping it features in the next episode. Philip Hoare in his book Leviathian described how he felt poundings in his chest when a Sperm Whale was using echolocation to check him out while he was in the water with one.

I agree that tonight's programme was stunning to watch and it showed us all the behaviours I have never seen before

The dolphins with the air bubbles, and their mirror image - they are so curious and interested in things.

The way the Dolphins caught their fish by forming a 'V' shape in the mud so the fish where impounded - that is clever. The Whales had their way of catching Herring and it involved air bubbles to a point - the way the Herring where circled in a large group, and then promptly blasted out of the water so to speak - they must have gone death before they where eaten

Love the way that the Grey whales interacted with humans and how forgiving they are despite of being hunted years ago.

So much to enjoy in this programme and well worth a watch :t::t::t:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b013wpxz/Ocean_Giants_Deep_Thinkers/

Part 2/3 on BBC I-player

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
The bit that really impressed me was the dolphins shadowing the stingrays then nipping in and stealing the prey.

I know gulls are described as opportunists but they showed some intelligence as well because they seem to have recognised that when the circle of bubbles appear they anticipate that the whales would appear and they could pick off some herring.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back