• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Fury 6.5x32 or Vortex Diamondback 7x36 (1 Viewer)

Based on a fairly brief comparison on a show stand, I preferred the Fury optically, principally for the better contrast and stray light control. Others on the forum have pointed out the centre dioptre adjustment on the Fury may be a weak point in the design.

David

Hi Bruce,

Both are discontinued and are now usually being sold at closeout prices. Cameraland has great prices on both now.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexdiamondback7x36

I had the Fury briefly and liked it's wide FOV but I returned it because the diopter mechanism was faulty. I still have my Diamondback which also has a very wide FOV. (The Fury's is slightly wider by about 25 feet at 1000 yards which IMO is not significant.) The center area of sharpness in both is generous, over 50% but then it tapers off to the edge. Sharpness at the edges of the view can be dialed in if you choose.

My memory of the Fury is that it was brighter than the Diamondback but everything else was equal except for their construction. The Diamondback is much more ruggedly built and has a right eye diopter mechanism rather than one on the focus knob like the Fury has. I also have the 8 x 42 Diamondback and had the 9 x 36 Diamondback which I gave to my son . They are built like tanks, you can take one anywhere.

Either one is a good choice if you are looking for a very good, inexpensive 7ish x 35 binocular at a great price. And Vortex has one of the best warranties in the business too.

Bob

Thanks Bob

I have the 7X36 Diamondback in my possession at the present time. Yesterday morning, under bright clear conditions, I compared them to the Minox 10X44 BP and the Kruger Caldera 8X42. To my eyes, the Minox wins buy a land slide in terms of resolution-sharpness,color rendition,light transmission,reach out and touch it realism, pop, wow factor, whatever you want to call it. The Diamondback, for me, was a lot sharper than the Caldera, and had more neutral color as well. FOV was about the same on the Vortex and the Kruger, much narrower on the Minox. Ca was similar in all three, although the Caldera might be a tiny bit better in that department. I think that I might be more prone to seeing CA than most people. Edge sharpness on the Vortex was not as good as the other two, but the FOV is so large it didn't detract from the view much at all. From what I read, binoculars that are sharp to the edge have the rolling ball effect, so may be it was a design choice. I don't seem to be bothered by the globe effect in binoculars. These are my opinions, but I understand if others with more experience in judging optics don't agree .

The Diamondbacks I have now will go to someone as a gift. I was thinking of ordering a pair for myself to get that huge FOV. That's the reason for the question about the Fury.

Thanks Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back