• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migration Birding Tips- Upper Texas Coast (1 Viewer)

Fallout

Greetings from the Upper Texas Coast!

This is my first post to this site, so hopefully i wont break any rules, offend anyone or ramble on too long!

As a lifelong resident of one of the best birding destinations in the states, i am constantly amazed at the number and origins of folk who make it into our little corner of birding paradise, esp. during spring migration. hopefully, some of the following can augment what is found in the more popular site guides, and perhaps offer updates for those who may be planning a trip in this direction.

BEST TIME TO COME: As has been mentioned in the reference works, it depends on what you are looking for. Passerine migration begins in earnest around March 15 or so, and late March can be really productive. Several species can be decidedly difficult to find after April 15th- most problematic would be our wintering birds, like Hermit Thrush, Yellow-rumped and Palm Warbler and Blue-headed Vireo, among others. In addition, a group of early neotropical migrants, particularly Prothonotary and Yellow-throated Warbler, and Louisiana Waterthrush are basically nonexistant after about mid-April. Swainson's Warbler also fits into this catagory, but i have seen this skulker even in early may under "fallout" conditions. Be prepared to spend long segments of your time staring into dark corners till your eyeballs glaze over to find that one ! (of course, you can always drive a scant distance inland and hear them on territory!)

Likewise, Magnolia, Bay-breasted, Blackburnian and (to a lesser extent) Chestnut-sided and (particularly) Mourning Warbler are MIA before April 10-15th. The same can be said of quite a few other woodland birds, like Grey-cheeked Thrush, Philadelphia Vireo and Scarlet Tanager, although there is the odd exception.

But, since most cannot spend a month down here, i have always advised a choice of dates centered around april 15-20 because that is an overlap period. Additionally, in my experience it is easier to catch the occasional individual of the early species group at that time, then hunt for the late species any earlier- if that makes sense !

Bear in mind an Autumn trip, around late Sept or Early October can be almost as productive, with the added bonus of a possible spectacular raptor migration spectacle at the local hawk watch (Smith Point). A couple of warblers, mainly Wilson's, Canada and Mourning are much more common at that season as well. However due to the mechanics of Neotrop migration, "Fallout" does not ocurr in Autumn (see below).

BEST PLACES TO VISIT:

Of course, the "Big Kahuna" of Upper Texas Coast (UTC) birding meccas is High Island. My home is located 45 minutes from there- however, almost to a person locals gravitate instead to a little hamlet a short drive up the coast toward Louisiana, Sabine Pass. IMHO, birding is better there, at least for woodland species.

There are a couple of reasons why.

First, High Island can get very crowded on weekends. It is closer to Houston and Galveston, which often is the base camps for visiting birders and tour groups. Since the coast higway, Texas 124, washed out years ago there is no "direct" link from High Island to Sabine Pass- travelers must detour inland a fair piece and then back down toward the beach. Many are not willing or dont have the time to make that drive.

Secondly, birds have a great deal more territory to bail into at High Island, maybe five times the forest habitat, or more, than found at Sabine Pass. Sabine essentially has one small woodlot ,"TOS (Texas Ornithological Society) Woods" and several stellar willow mottes right on the beach. These areas are surrounded by mile upon mile of salt grass marsh or open ocean, which might as well be the Sahara as far as warblers are concerned! Scattered large individual trees, willows, salt cedars, Hercules Club and what i call "acacia" grow right alongside the road, and simply rolling down the window (best bet in a driving rain) can yeild double-digit warbler totals in any one tree, and more grosbeaks, tanagers, buntings and thrushes than.... well... as we say in these parts, "than you can shake a stick at !". This type of habitat is nonexistant on the beach road at High Island (also Texas 124). Some of the "larger" enclave of trees at Sabine go by various names, like "the Willows" (down from the entrance to Sea Rim State Park"), "the Mulberries" and "Pilot Road", the latter also great for Seaside and late season Nelson's Sharptail Sparrows.

However, High Island does have a straight shot to Bolivar Flats, the premier shorebirding locale on the UTC. By all means do both !

GOOD DAYS AND FALL OUTS- WHAT ARE THE CHANCES ?

The following is a synthesis of bits and pieces of info gained from various sources and my own personal experiences and gestimations.

When conditions are favorable in Yucatan (clear skies, tailwind, low pressure to north, presence of "Bermuda high, etc) a transgulf movement of migrants will ensue in spring. Accounting for their inherent groundspeed and favorable winds, birds will begin to cross the UTC from mid-morning on. If they dont meet headwinds or rain along the coast, most apparently continue inland for 100 or so miles to disperse in the "Big Thicket" of E. Texas. However, even on days with moderate to strong onshore winds birds often move into coastal woods/trees/bushes in the afternoon to rest and feed for a few hours, albeit not in huge aggregations. However they often depart later that evening- mornings then, in spring during periods of onshore winds can be very quiet- do shorebirding then and plan on being at the beach woodlots that afternoon and keep your fingers crossed! Sometimes there is just no activity at all during these periods of South and Southeast winds.

"Fallout", which i chase at every opportunity, is more likely, or maybe almost exclusively, during periods of rainy, turbulent weather. Best is a squall line, either cold front or low pressure generated, situated North to South, and moving West to East, that is, perpendicular to the coast. This phenomenon sweeps birds out of the Gulf in front of it, and flings them into the first available cover- often the vegatation line a few feet from the water can hold warblers, vireos, orioles, tanagers etc. Squall lines generate the necessary air turbulence, in my view, to force birds to ground. Look for what the weather guys call "mammiform" cloud formations to assure a stellar day's birding ! Timing of sqall line arrival is critical, however. If the weather hits too long before of after the peak transgulf crossing (ie, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.), you may "dip", i think as our british friends term it ! Ideal timing , then, is from 10 a.m to 3 p.m.- if you're anywhere else but beachside near some trees when a roll cloud approaches, get yourself to the beach woods, and fast ! "The Willows" at Sea Rim State Park, for example, literally within a stone's throw of the water, can contain hordes of foraging wablers literally within arm's reach during such events. It is not unusual at such times to tally a high-teens to low-twenties warbler species count in 1/2 an hour or so, all from the little 100 foot boardwalk that fronts this true "migrant trap". And if Painted Buntings are your thing, you may find them in double digits just staring you down.....

Incidentally, "Fallout" is defined differently depending on who you're talking to- i just feel it's lots of birds, lots of species, in a relatively small area- you'll certainly know it when you see it ! There is also what i call "clear air Fallout", usually as a result of a wind shift to offshore caused by a "dry cold front", but the spectacle is not as dramatic as that described above.

Well i've run on a bit more than i intended- hopefully the above will be of some use and interest to those who run up on it.. . i will gladly reply as i can to questions and requests for clarification as i find opportunity to log in.

Hi Fallout

Welcome to Bird Forum.

We are planning to visit Texas next April, and the information in your post answers a lot of our questions. I've printed out the post for future reference, and I've added Sabine Pass to the list of sites we plan to visit. Thanks.

Last edited:
Fallout how you doing,great information,wished I had known about Sabine pass when I was down Texas way a few years ago.Keep up these posts.

POP

Fallout,
Another welcome to the forum and another thanks for the info. I arrived in Houston in mid April and have had the opportunity to bird the local areas these past two weekends. I haven't witnessed a "fallout" yet, but am picking up some of the birds passing through on migration. We've visited High Island (two locations), Anahuac NWR (the "willows") and several sites around Galveston looking for migratory birds. I'll check out Sabine Pass shortly. Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back