• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (5 Viewers)

Like Lou say's Cristian, your gull seems rather strangely patterned. An aberrant Caspian like gull or something else, and what that someting else would be is diffucult to work out. Seems like the tongue on p10 is very short, seen from above, not fully visible though, but not viewable from below. A Caspian with a dark mark on p4 would not be unique, seen a couple myself and pic from Holland etc.
You will probably get some more pic Cristian.

JanJ

A Caspian with a dark mark on p4 would not be unique, seen a couple myself and pic from Holland etc.
JanJ

a small p4 mark actually is seen in about 40-50% of adult caspian gulls, jan;
in this strange ind. it just adds up with many other oddities since it appears to be large (as the p10 subterminal mark is solid).

Unfortunately I don't have better pics with an underwing view. I have one more (good quality?) shot of the wing tips seen from above.

Attachments

• PC155963m.jpg
    PC155963m.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Thanks my friends. Today, many groups more than 150 of large gulls. Number was about 1000. The weather is very cold. Birds was busy with feeding. I think this winter is being very cold.

cheers.

Last edited:
this is most likely a pretty dark male caspian gull. but it is really hard to separate from a similarly plumaged michahellis. pale median covert centers, pale greater coverts, shawl, belly line, bill shape, apparent pale inner webs on p10 base and apparent tail pattern (undertail and broad tail band - hard to judge..) to my eyes look better for cachinnans. photo taken recently i guess?

Last edited:
this is most likely a pretty dark male caspian gull. but it is really hard to separate from a similarly plumaged michahellis. pale median covert centers, pale greater coverts, shawl, belly line, bill shape, apparent pale inner webs on p10 base and apparent tail pattern (undertail and broad tail band - hard to judge..) to my eyes look better for cachinnans. photo taken recently i guess?

I guess michahellis on tendency to darkish mask and bill, which looks short with a steep upper mandible tip and largish eye

JanJ

hi jan,

a normal michahellis at this age usually has stronger head striation. male caspians (can) have such strong curved upper mandibles. the bill is not entirely black but large parts of its sides are paler, and: it is long and parallel edged. white head is contrastingly separated from dark shawl. underwing pattern is delicate, not as plain brown as in most michs. axilliaries cold also be taken in account as being pale based with a rel. fine barring towards tip. belly line has the two "caspian bumps". remember the young dark caspians i photogr. in sept. 2011 - many of them have a very similar pattern.

comparison of similar patterned 1cy:
dark male caspian: http://www.lou.bertalan.de/gulls/pic/vh/up_0570.jpg
pale male michahellis: http://www.lou.bertalan.de/gulls/pic/vh/up_0899.jpg

cheers

Last edited:
Common injury.

A very common to see injury around the Camel Estuary, Cornwall. It has to be its tongue protruding? Image today at Rumps Point.
Colin

Attachments

• IMG_9383.JPG
    IMG_9383.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 40
A quick jaunt out this afternoon didn't turn up too much but it wasn't without some interest.

A leucistic Common Gull was unusual: A Commlien's Gull?? ;)

A few Yellow-legs were present but only 1 2nd winter bird posed nicely although good shots were tricky in the stiff breeze.

One of the Black-headed Gulls had a yellow ring '2ANV'. Almost looks like 'JANJ'. :t: I wonder if we could pay to have our initials on a gull ring?

Cheers,

Andy

Attachments

• Leucistic Common Gull.JPG
    Leucistic Common Gull.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 2nd win YLGv1.JPG
    2nd win YLGv1.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 79
  • BHG 2ANV.JPG
    BHG 2ANV.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 75
A happy new year Lou and Comp.! Some pics taken on December 31st in Herastrau Park.

Attachments

• PC317614m.jpg
    PC317614m.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 55
  • PC317643m-s.jpg
    PC317643m-s.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 66
  • PC317645m-s.jpg
    PC317645m-s.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 57
  • PC317650m-s.jpg
    PC317650m-s.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 62
  • PC317587m.jpg
    PC317587m.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back