• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (1 Viewer)

Hi, have attached a pic of a fully juvenile Common Gull present today in Northern England.Has any correlation been made between northern and eastern populations of Common Gull and retained juvenile plumage/late moult?

That's incredible! I bet you scanned through the gulls and just stopped dead when that bird appeared in your sights.

Juv common gull in late January, advanced 2nd winter YLG with a mirror in P10 and a dark eyed ad YLG*. That's what makes gulls so interesting. Something new and different every time I go birding.

I said to my five year old 'we'll only be birding for an hour' and he replied 'that's sixty minutes too long daddy'

Cheers,

Andy.

*Cristian - I know what you mean. However, if you view the image again, then lean back in your chair a bit, the eye starts to look pretty dark

Hi Andy, yes it was a eyecatching bird when I picked it up.I`m really interested in the origins of the Common Gulls we get in winter.Up here we get quite a few colour ringed Norwegian Common Gulls but I`m always hoping to find something ringed from further east.I was actually looking for the reported Franklin`s Gull up here but no joy.We did see an adult Casp however.It looks like its on the way to being a record winter for Cach`s up here in the NW.Also recently had an Argentatus here that was ringed at the White Sea, so as you say, always something interesting when gulling.

Some Herrings from Yesterday.

All 2nd winters?

Or a 1st winter, a 2nd winter and a 3rd winter?

Cheers,

Andy.

Edit: Sorry, put the wrong bird up. Last image is clrearly a 1st winter.

Attachments

• Herring Gull.JPG
    Herring Gull.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Herring Gull2.JPG
    Herring Gull2.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Herring Gull3.JPG
    Herring Gull3.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Lesser Black-backed, Herring (1st winter) and another Lesser Black-backed?

Attachments

• LBB.JPG
    LBB.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 56
  • gull1stwin2.JPG
    gull1stwin2.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 54
  • gull1stwin.JPG
    gull1stwin.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 67
andy, #1747 - first looks to be a 1st winter. primary tips very pointed and gc pattern better for 1st cycle. odd scaps... second is a 2nd winter allright. i tend to agree with al the others in both posts but, well, graellsii is not my strongest point.

Dambovita river - January 26th.
1, 2 and 3 - Adult Caspian. 4 - 2cy Yellow-legged. 5 - 2cy Caspian.

Attachments

• P1268286m_f.jpg
    P1268286m_f.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 54
  • P1268300m.jpg
    P1268300m.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 54
  • P1268328m.jpg
    P1268328m.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 77
  • P1268356m.jpg
    P1268356m.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 113
  • P1268362m.jpg
    P1268362m.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 79
I only have experience of Black-headed, Herring, Lesser B;ackbacked and Great Black-back Gulls. Over the last 18 month since I moved to Torquay in Devon I have learnt to respect these much maligned birds. They impress me with their intelligence and resourcefulness and I also have to say that I find the Great Black Back Gull to be an awesome bird.

SW

I only have experience of Black-headed, Herring, Lesser B;ackbacked and Great Black-back Gulls. Over the last 18 month since I moved to Torquay in Devon I have learnt to respect these much maligned birds. They impress me with their intelligence and resourcefulness and I also have to say that I find the Great Black Back Gull to be an awesome bird.

SW

Hi speckled wood,

I agree with you. GBBG it's one of my favorites too, but here is a rare vagrant.
Here are some pics with a 3cy GBBG seen last winter in Bucharest:
http://www.talk.gull-research.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=230

Herastrau Park - January 27th. An ill/injured 2nd winter Caspian Gull.

Attachments

• P1278400m.jpg
    P1278400m.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 76
  • P1278415m.jpg
    P1278415m.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P1278435m.jpg
    P1278435m.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 72
This conflicting gull was seen today which appears to a Caspian however the wing coverts seem a little to Herring Gull like. Perhaps some hybrid influence occuring in this bird?

Attachments

• 012911 - Gull 1st winter Pitsea Tip WEB 235.JPG
    012911 - Gull 1st winter Pitsea Tip WEB 235.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 012911 - Gull 1st winter Pitsea Tip WEB 232.JPG
    012911 - Gull 1st winter Pitsea Tip WEB 232.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back