• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rye Meads (1 Viewer)

Rye Meads Disabled Access

Hi all,

Has anyone visited Rye Meads recently who can give me some information about disabled (wheelchair) access. I am a member of the Disabled Birders Association but the information given on that site and the information provided by the RSPB seems to be at odds.

I know from Dungeness that the RSPB information seems to have been written by someone who has never had to push a wheelchair around there!

I'm hoping to visit around February so any information would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi all,

Has anyone visited Rye Meads recently who can give me some information about disabled (wheelchair) access.
Most of the reserve should be fairly easy - paths are flat and ramps lead to all hides except for the Kingfisher hide (which has a separate wheelchair area at ground level).

Only problem may be that the paths can get a bit muddy when it's been wet. But, even then, the first three hides are along gravel paths.

Many thanks for that Frank,

Only problem may be that the paths can get a bit muddy when it's been wet
I wouldn't have thought that there would be a great chance of it being mud free in February! However, if we get a decent Winter this year the ground may well be frozen.

I shall just have to take my chances.

Patrick

Many thanks for that Frank,

I wouldn't have thought that there would be a great chance of it being mud free in February! However, if we get a decent Winter this year the ground may well be frozen.

I shall just have to take my chances.

Patrick

The first hide Draper, is easy. Moorhen is ok to get to but it is up a few short steps, Ashby is up about a dozen steps, there may be a few point for this at ground level I can't remember (note to self check !!). Gadwall and Tern SHOULD be ok it was a bit muddy last weekend but manageable i'd have thought. Kingfisher is as Frank has described, honestly its best in spring if kingfishers are breeding.

Warbler hide is accessible BUT you wouldn't have done it last week. the wheelchair would have sunk!

The new Herts & Middlesex part of the reserve is partially accessible but you woud have to drive to an access point or get a radar key for the main reserve - honestly I'd doubt it would be worth it.

if you want to PM me in advance I should be able to tell you the current state.

you can view from Ashby hide with out going up the step! Moorhen was up 5 steps. Kingfisher showing well in the gloom

Resurrecting an old thread - was considering going to Rye Meads this coming weekend and wondered if anyone's been there recently. How's it been of late? Worth a visit?

For whats been seen in Herts recently viit the new Herts Bird Club WEB site and look at the highlights at http://www.hnhs.org/birds/

Nothing posted from Rye Meads in the last day or so

Joan

Thought I'd just pop in and revisit this thread. I've been to Amwell a few times and there always seems to be something nice to see. However, the birds are often a long way off and you'll need a scope to be able to see/ID them. I was wondering if Rye Meads has the same dilemma?

I'm planning on going to Amwell tomorrow morning but if I hear from you guys that I'll get better views at Rye Meads I may change my mind, lol. :t:

Thought I'd just pop in and revisit this thread. I've been to Amwell a few times and there always seems to be something nice to see. However, the birds are often a long way off and you'll need a scope to be able to see/ID them. I was wondering if Rye Meads has the same dilemma?

I'm planning on going to Amwell tomorrow morning but if I hear from you guys that I'll get better views at Rye Meads I may change my mind, lol. :t:

It's been my experience that Amwell has the better birds but, as you say, they do tend to be fairly distant. However the, two sites are close enough so as to make a visit to both a viable option.

It's been my experience that Amwell has the better birds but, as you say, they do tend to be fairly distant. However the, two sites are close enough so as to make a visit to both a viable option.

Hi Frank
Thanks for the tip. I did as you suggested and fitted both in. Nothing too unusual around at the moment and very few winter ducks or migrants. I did manage to see the white rump of a Green Sandpiper flying away from the hide I'd just entered at Rye Meads. I went looking for better views but didn't find it again. No other waders around unfortunately apart from numerous Lapwing.

Hi Frank
Thanks for the tip. I did as you suggested and fitted both in. Nothing too unusual around at the moment and very few winter ducks or migrants. I did manage to see the white rump of a Green Sandpiper flying away from the hide I'd just entered at Rye Meads. I went looking for better views but didn't find it again. No other waders around unfortunately apart from numerous Lapwing.

3 red crested pochard showing well on Hollycross Lake, Amwell today. Been present for a few days/ Also several yellow legged gulls, occasional crossbill and 3 med gulls in evening roost. Worth a visit at present.
regards,
Jono

3 red crested pochard showing well on Hollycross Lake, Amwell today. Been present for a few days/ Also several yellow legged gulls, occasional crossbill and 3 med gulls in evening roost. Worth a visit at present.
regards,
Jono

Good to know Jono. Thanks for posting your latest sightings there. I'd certainly love to see a Crossbill. I've recently had good sightings of Ringed Plover, Golden Plover, Dunlin, Green Sandpiper, Common Snipe and Little Owl (along with Common Buzzard, Great Spotted Woodpecker and various ducks) up at Tring Reservoirs (specifically Wilstone Res). The Little Owl has been in the same location for 2 weeks in a row now, lol.

Happy birding... :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back