• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
I honestly don't understand why no one went to Corvo earlier considering the Hurricane season and all the yank waders (and passerines) turning up in Europe... Oh well.

Of course, since Corvo is to the west of the mid-Atlantic ridge and thus on the North American Plate, you could argue that it shouldn't really count ;-)

New post.

"We cannot go for the Radde’s though, Erik is out sailing in the Baltic and Mårten is stuck on an island in the archipelago. Stressful."

Ouch.

Are we expecting them to be sticking to Sweden and close localities until they start on Azores/Corvo on 4th October? Anyone with a link to Corvo news for this autumn - a blog or similar?

I fear that they're going to be making me very jealous........

All the best

Owl Flight - many thanks

Generally - there seems to be a bit of eastern stuff around. 'Easiest' rarities are Dusky & Radde's so if they are on original timetable, here's hoping they can get both before the Azores.

All the best

Owl Flight - many thanks

Generally - there seems to be a bit of eastern stuff around. 'Easiest' rarities are Dusky & Radde's so if they are on original timetable, here's hoping they can get both before the Azores.

All the best

First Finnish Dusky reported this arvo...

Not being in Corvo may cost them greatly.

Magnolia Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler, Red-Eyed Vireo + Philadelphia Vireo, Ovenbird, Black-throated Green Warbler, Yellowthroat...

Yeah, we are still in September. What a freaky year this will be.

If I may continue on the Portuguese theme; yesterday a Rüppell's Griffon was approaching Sagres (a few kms inland) and likely to be seen again if past year's scenarios repeat themselves. I know they have it now but Dotterel also about.

Dusky Warbler may well be the next addition, two reported on the Northern Archipelago in Uppland today.

Corvo must be an attractive option with so much quality from the west available. Given that several additions are available, further vagrants are likely and that they would avoid long travel distaces by car it must be the smart play?

Last edited:
They should try and get Pechora Pipit, Dusky and Radde's warbler these days and then immediately leave towards Corvo, where I believe there is great potential for about a dozen (maybe more?!) new additions this autumn.

Another very interesting info for their Cape Verde trip in November could be, that recently over 40!!! Red-footed Boobies were photographed on Raso! Is this maybe the start of a new breeding colony?

PS. How remote is Corvo? Is it possible to twitch birds at the other islands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back