• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Today's new 2012 birds for Missouri

65. Pine Siskin, at a neighbor's bird feeder, Saint Joseph, Missouri
66. House Finch, at neighbor's bird feeder, Saint Joseph, Missouri
67. Belted Kingfisher, Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri
68. Hairy Woodpecker, Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri

Wow, you guys around me in the midwest are racking them up. Saw 38 species today, but yet to add up my new year total.

Something to ponder,also seen first belted kingfisher today,few hundred miles east of Larry.At Big Muddy NWR.Maybe following missouri river valley up?

Havent tallied list,somewhere in the thirties,too many trumpeters here distracts from crunching numbers

Last edited:
Seven new birds today, so my Year List is now up to 97. The best January I've ever had in North America, and only one week gone by. (However, from here on out, new birds will be much harder to find).

91. Eurasian Collared Dove
92. Rusty Blackbird
93. Brown-headed Cowbird
94. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
95. Northern Pintail
96. Canvasback
97. Redhead

Dave

Five hours of birding over the weekend moved my total up quite a bit:
77. Anhinga
78. White Ibis
79. Double-crested Cormorant
80. Cedar Waxwing
81. Swamp Sparrow
82. Snow Goose
83. Cooper’s Hawk
84. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
85. Common Gallinule
86. Tree Swallow
87. Blue-winged Teal
88. Black-crowned Night Heron
89. Vermilion Flycatcher
90. Lesser Yellowlegs
91. White-faced Ibis
92. Brown Pelican
93. White Pelican
94. Willet
95. Short-billed Dowitcher
96. Ring-billed Gull
97. Long-billed Curlew
98. Ruddy Turnstone
99. Sanderling
100. American Avocet
101. Dunlin
102.Reddish Egret
103. Royal Tern
104. Red-breasted Merganser
105. Neotropic Cormorant
106. Forster’s Tern
107. Black Skimmer
108. Roseate Spoonbill
109. Little Blue Heron
110. Inca Dove
111. Greater White-fronted Goose
112. Sandhill Crane
113. Tricolored Heron
114. Yellow-crowned Night Heron
115. White-tailed Kite
116. Common Loon
117. Black-bellied Plover
118. Bald Eagle

Not a bad start to the year and have already passed full January totals of 2009 (90 species) and 2010 (110 species). But I'll have to keep working if I am to equal last year's January total of 132 species.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Only one new bird today. Since I've had such a good January so far, there are few birds left in the area to find. Now up to 98 for the year.

98. American Herring Gull

Dave

Today's trip up to Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri, yielded several more "year birds".

70. Eastern Screech Owl
71. Canvasback
72. Redhead
73. Common Merganser
74. Ruddy Duck
75. Rough-legged Hawk
76. Pileated Woodpecker
77. Northern Shoveler
78. Double-crested Cormorant
79. American Coot
80. Brown Creeper

My 2012 List - A Running Total

More as a way to get myself motivated to get out there and exercise than anything else, for my 2012 list, I'm restricting myself to birds seen while actually out on a run. Aside from improving my health, I should also get lots of practice in identifying songs and calls.

(That is, no "run to the local conservation area, pull out the bins, bird for an hour, and then run home", but actually identified while on a training run or race. I'm hoping to do several 10 k's this year, at the very least.)

As I have not been particularly well-motivated so far this year, I only got out for the first time yesterday evening, and it was almost dark at the time. Therefore:

1) American Crow

is it, so far.

There is a "moveable feast" of these birds not far from my house, a winter roost that comes in each night, sometimes numbering in the thousands. I "only" saw 500 or so.

More as a way to get myself motivated to get out there and exercise than anything else, for my 2012 list, I'm restricting myself to birds seen while actually out on a run. Aside from improving my health, I should also get lots of practice in identifying songs and calls.

That's an interesting approach, Peter. No good for me, though, as I'm not a runner. My equivalent would have to be "birds seen while driving" or possibly "birds seen while smoking"!

Jeff

Went to see Longspurs this morning but missed them. Added:
130. Le Conte's Sparrow
131. Grasshopper Sparrow
132. Ross's Goose
133. Fish Crow (lifer)

That's passed my best (= last year's) January total of 132 species and we're not quite halfway through January yet. Of course, adding new birds is going to get harder from now on!

Jeff

Last edited:
Broke the 100 mark today with three new birds for the year.

100. American Treecreeper
101. Sharp-shinned Hawk
102. Common Merganser

Dave

81. Prairie Falcon, flying over the Regional Conservation Office, Saint Joseph, Missouri
82. Cooper's Hawk, in neighbor's yard, Saint Joseph, Missouri

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back