• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ayr beach and harbour (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

I had the day off work today and went to Ayr. I went to the harbour area first and spotted several Eider, Cormorants, Shags, Goldeneye and lots of gulls - Lesser Black-backed, Great Black-backed, Herring and Black-headed. I then saw a diver in the water but it kept coming up and then diving very quickly so I never got a very good view of it. I decided I'd try and get a better view later, so walked south along the beach towards an area that is mixed rock and sand.

In the scrub at the top of the beach, I saw Rock Pipits, Meadow Pipits, Twite (flock of about 20 of these), Stonechats, Pied and Grey Wagtails, Skylark. Further out on the beach, I saw several waders, including Redshank, Curlew, Turnstone, Ringed Plover, Greenshank as well as Teal, Whooper and Mute Swans on the water and a Red-breasted Merganser in a pool. While I was walking among the rock pools, Carrion Crows were busy flying up then dropping clams onto the rocks to open them, sometimes only a couple of metres away from me, it was almost like they were showing off!

Later in the afternoon, I walked back to the harbour and managed to get a better sighting of the diver, this time joined by a pal - two Red-throated Divers! Also saw a Purple Sandpiper on the rocks, and a Common Seal popped it's head out of the water to do it's nosy!

All in all, a fantastic day, and I'll head back down in a couple of months to see Black Guillemot, Gannet and hopefully some terns and shearwaters.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back