• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier Roost (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Well, today has been one of those days when you just sit indoors watching the rain lashing against the windows and hoping for something exotic, like a Brambling, visit the garden feeding station.
Horrendous winds and horizontal rain all day have gone a good way to helping me understand why some people suffer from S.A.D.
Anyways, at around 3pm the rain eased to a fine drizzle, and eventually stopped altogether, leaving me with something of a dilemma. Do I go out for the last hour of birdable light and leave the roaring log fire?
In the end I decided to brave the conditions and get out there for my weekend 'fix'.
I drove the 6 miles or so to Close Sartfield Nature Reserve in Ballaugh Curraghs and arrived at the tower hide at 4pm.
The first birds I saw were 3 ringtail Hen Harriers in the air together closely followed by a Merlin dashing over the tops of the willows. Ordinarily this would be a pleasing sight, but it left me wondering how long the birds had been coming into roost before my arrival.
After just 25 minutes and in almost complete darkness, I headed for home, and that fire, having counted 56 Hen Harriers (inc. 16 males) and a Long-eared Owl all enjoyed with the background noise of ½dozen squealing Water Rails.

Attachments

• Close Sartfield hide.jpg
    Close Sartfield hide.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Curraghs.JPG
    Curraghs.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 145
Hi CJW,

That sounds fantastic!

I too had a bit of a Harrier day..... braved the elements over at Elmley in Kent and saw many Marsh Harriers (still a bit of a novelty for me) and my first ever 2 Hen Harriers, one of which was a ringtail.

Ruby

Hi CJW
That is an absolutely phenomenal count! One Hen Harrier for every 4 square miles of the island. I presume you have an influx of migrant birds. What is the normal wintering population on the island?

I`ve often envied the size of the Hen Harrier Roost you have there -must be a fantastic sight! Still the Isle of Man is probably a bit far to justify the trip!!!

Aquila said:
Hi CJW
That is an absolutely phenomenal count! One Hen Harrier for every 4 square miles of the island. I presume you have an influx of migrant birds. What is the normal wintering population on the island?

Actually Aquila, that's a pretty average count for this particular roost. In very harsh weather (freeze-ups) the count is often in excess of 120 birds and there is a second roost further south with up 40 birds in it.
So, given that our breeing population is about 45 pairs, say each raising a couple of chicks a year, I don't think we get that many birds visiting the island.
It really is one of the joys of living here - being able to spend an hour so on your own in such a beautiful landscape with only 100 Hen Harriers and a few squealing Water Rails for company.
Can you believe it? I was the only person present.
I'd be happy to show any visitors round the island for a couple of days if they wanted to come - not cheap though. But where is else in Europe (and possibly the World) can you enjoy such an experience?

And I can vouch for your prowess as a guide. A fabulous late spring day birding.... a lifer (Southern Grey Shrike)....seeing a Hen Harrier acting like a Sparrowhawk, crashing through a garden, 1000's of Manxies and some excellent beer.

As Arnie would say... I'll be back!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back