• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying strange bird (1 Viewer)

bdodd516

I dont know much about birds but i saw one in the woods today like nothing ive seen before. Cell phone pic i took is too dark to see anything. It flew to a nearby tree as i was walking down a trail in the woods just before sunset and at first i thought it was an owl but it was larger than any owl ive seen and had a pointy face like a vulture instead of flat owl face. But its face looked furry/ hairy and it didnt look like a vulture either. It was larger than any hawk ive seen here on long island. It was brown with grey spots, had a huge wingspan and big head. I like watching hawks and owls but honestly this thing creeped me out when it looked at me as i tried to get closer for a better look. Any ideas on what kind of bird it might be? Sorry if my description is not very good

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back