• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unkown birds???????? (1 Viewer)

Hazard a guess at Great Crested Flycatcher as a first choice but possibly a Brown-crested Flycatcher instead.

Either way a couple of nice photos.

To be honest I thought both photos were of the same bird from different angles. I recall thinking 'how did he persuade it to pose so well ?' ;)

I'm just going by Sibley and your photo as opposed to seeing it in the flesh. It seems to have too much yellow to be a La Sagra's, even that link shows them to be plainer coloured that your bird.

I wouldn't like to cast judgement though.

ps. I edited your post to put the link right.

Last edited:
If these photos were taken in Florida, they are both appear to be Great Crested. LaSagra's are extremely rare, and safely can be separated by call from Great Crested, but field marks are very similar and difficult to tell. I've heard of several LaSagra this year, but not sure of any lately. Van

IanF said:
To be honest I thought both photos were of the same bird from different angles. I recall thinking 'how did he persuade it to pose so well ?' ;)

I'm just going by Sibley and your photo as opposed to seeing it in the flesh. It seems to have too much yellow to be a La Sagra's, even that link shows them to be plainer coloured that your bird.

I wouldn't like to cast judgement though.

ps. I edited your post to put the link right.

Ian,
I can't get the javaswift.com link to work. It gives me a 404 and when I click to go to javaswift.com it switches me to a site called mexicobirding.com.

Yes, both pics most definitely Great Creasted Flycatchers. In the first photo the bright yellow belly distinguishes it from less common Brown-creasted, and in the second photo the olive back does the same thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back