• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When to use noise reduction in DPP (1 Viewer)

Nikon Kid

Love them Sula Bassana
As each week goes by I learn a little more about processing my images. On the image below of the Red Kite I was able to lift the shadows on the
underside of the wings which improved the image including being a bit more confident in the rest of the processing in DPP and Adobe 6 Elements.

At the moment I suppose like most people I adjust the image to my eyes until I am happy with what I have done. But when it comes to the noise reduction
in DPP I really don't know what to do, but I have been applying 7 or 8 Luminance and 7 to 8 Chrominance am I doing right.

Attachments

• redkiteprocessed8x6.jpg
    redkiteprocessed8x6.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 140
I try not to exceed 2 in luminance NR and 4 in chrominance. If you have more noise in your image, using a dedicated NR program like NeatImage will provide better results.

NR is best applied before cropping and sharpening the image.

I do not do any NR in DPP, preferring to use Noise Ninja (or NI) from CS2. Like Marcus, I also run NR after sharpening - a lot of people do it before, personal preference really. The reason I do it after sharpening is that NR destroys detail and if you do it before sharpening you have less detail to work with. The downside to this is that sharpening will enhance any noise that is there.
When I do apply noise reduction I always use a mask so the NR will only apply to the areas I want (mainly the BG and not the bird).
Like I say, it is personal preference and there is no absolutely right or wrong way.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back