• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best options under $500 (1 Viewer)

Intern Binos

Don't know if this will help but over the years I noticed that all the Interns working at Hawk Mountain during the migration season were using Nikon Monarch roof prism binoculars. There usually were about half a dozen of them.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks, I was just thinking that depending on the # of interns would also perhaps allow the purchase a model (8X42 Canip format suggestion, and a good one) glass at a discount from a good reliable manufacturer.
It would probably help to show them how to handle and treat binoculars, since observations I have made from some students handling delicate objects, (microscopes) makes me cringe.
The Monarch models have shown to be quite reliable, and they are also a good choice.

A.W.

I currently over see two full time and one temporary technician, only the full-time will be receiving binoculars as they will be around during the seasons of greatest need.

8x42 will be the likely format, although 10x is sometimes appealing when completing waterfowl surveys. I have owned the 8x32 MeoPro HD and liked it for a time although found it tricky with eye placement, though I've since noted that same difficulty in practically all 8x32s I've tried. I'll take a more in depth look at that as well as the other recommendations; I've never seen either the GPO or Maven in stores.

Thanks for the advice.

Bob,

Thanks, I was just thinking that depending on the # of interns would also perhaps allow the purchase a model (8X42 Canip format suggestion, and a good one) glass at a discount from a good reliable manufacturer.
It would probably help to show them how to handle and treat binoculars, since observations I have made from some students handling delicate objects, (microscopes) makes me cringe.
The Monarch models have shown to be quite reliable, and they are also a good choice.

A.W.

Andy,

I added a post script to my earlier post noting that there is a very large Cabela's store about 10 miles from Hawk Mountain which would be a good place for them to get the Nikons (and try them out).

Bob

I had the Cabela's version of the Meopta Meostar HD 8x32 and I found it had tricky eye placement also. I have the 8x32 Vortex Viper HD and I have used the 8x42 version and found them both to have easy eye placement with the 42mm being a little easier of course. The Viper's have a good size comfortable eye cup so it doesn't sink too far into your eye socket and the eye relief versus eye cup length is just right. Also, the Viper's are well armored for tough use with good inset on the objective lens for protection. They are also one of lightest binoculars in their class which would be important for all day use. They are a good binocular especially for beginning birders or wildlife technicians.

Last edited:
All-
I'm looking to purchase some binoculars for my wildlife technicians. Considering my personal collection, I am much more familiar with the sub alpha and alpha market in the >$700 range. Can anyone provide me (strictly in their opinions) the best options under $500? This number must be met due to the purchasing requirements for my place of employee (purchases over $500 require specialized approvals which will not likely be given for a tool such as this).

Thanks,
Justin

Hey Justin,

Probably the EASY answer would be a Monarch 7 8X42. That's a pretty good binocular for the money, strong Nikon cooperation backing. Large FOV. Small and lightweight. Classic styling.

I personally like the Vanguard Endeavor ED II and IV. I don't know a thing concerning warranty service/customer service/etc. BUT for their price point they are the best I have used where optics are concerned. The ED II I have is almost 3 years old, not one hiccup.

The GPO Passion ED is interesting... So is the Maven C1. It might be fun to order one of each and see which you like best then order the other. Both companies seem to have a great return policy.

Bob,

I am only about two hours from there, at Hawk Mountain. I have been thinking of a visit there. That was the only Cabelas I could go to from where I live, thankfully, there is a new one near me within 20 minutes.

A.W.

The best choice I have seen under $500.00 is the Vortex Viper HD 8x42. Excellent unconditional no-fault warranty. Here are some reviews where it is ranked above the Zeiss Terra, Vanguard Endeavor II, Maven B1, Monarch 7, Zeiss Conquest HD and even the Leica Trinovid HD. It is 5 star rated on 270 reviews @Amazon.com. for $489.00.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...-viper-hd-8x42
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...t=http://www.audubon.org/gear/binocular-guide

8x vs 10x? Hmm
10xVV vs 10Vanguard: https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

With the Meopta Meopro reduced in price, by $300.00 as of Feb. 1st, and now selling for for the same price as the Athlon Cronus, Vortex Viper HD and Vanguard Endeavore ED the Meopta MeoPro is the way to go. Optically superior, true Euro all the way and the best of this price ranges construction and feel.

I personally like the Vanguard Endeavor ED II and IV. I don't know a thing concerning warranty service/customer service/etc. BUT for their price point they are the best I have used where optics are concerned. The ED II I have is almost 3 years old, not one hiccup.

Though I don't have a breadth of experience with bins in this class, I did have Endeavor EDII 10x42s and currently have Endeavor EDII 8x32s. The 8x32s are excellent and the 10x42s were kind of amazing, sans their exhibiting CA under harsh conditions. I haven't used their 8x42s but if I can extrapolate from the two I have owned, they will be excellent indeed.

With the Meopta Meopro reduced in price, by $300.00 as of Feb. 1st, and now selling for for the same price as the Athlon Cronus, Vortex Viper HD and Vanguard Endeavore ED the Meopta MeoPro is the way to go. Optically superior, true Euro all the way and the best of this price ranges construction and feel.

Wasn't the Meopro series made in USA - not quite true euro (whatever that might be worth).

Joachim

Wasn't the Meopro series made in USA - not quite true euro (whatever that might be worth).

Joachim

Joachim
Meopta website says the 32mm and 42mm MeoPro's are assembled in the USA whereas the new 8x56 is described as having a chassis and focus mechanism assembled in Europe, leaving the impression that the optics are inserted in the States but not explicitly saying so.

Lee

The Swift Audobon 828 8.5x44 should be on your list for consideration. Over the years it has gotten very good reviews and they have improved model incrementally. I have the very first model since 2004 (with the HHS branding to commemorate the legacy of the creator of the Swift company) and have had no issues for 14years and it is still going strong.

Durability is every bit important as quality optics and my copy of the 828 ticks both boxes. Recommend you Google what others have said about the 828.

When I am finally ready to replace my binoculars, it will be with another 828 (maybe in 10 years).

Joachim
Meopta website says the 32mm and 42mm MeoPro's are assembled in the USA whereas the new 8x56 is described as having a chassis and focus mechanism assembled in Europe, leaving the impression that the optics are inserted in the States but not explicitly saying so.

Thanks for the clarification - so some models of the Meopro series might or might not have some parts assembled in europe - whatever that might mean.

I'm quite sure that nowadays you can buy any quality specified from any country - if you're willing to pay for the quality. If you want cheapest bidder wins, you might get the cheapest bid from china and it might not be so great. If you specify first rate quality with a large asian optics company, you will get it - regardless of the physical location of the factory.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back